Reducing the size of an MS Word file with graphics

Peter 01:44 17 Mar 06

I want to insert a graphic into a Word 97 document several times, but I want to keep the size of the file down.

I know that I can link to the graphic file, instead of embeding it in the document, but this means supplying two files instead of one document, which may be a bit too complicated for the intended recipient.

Does anyone know of a way of inserting the graphic into the document once and then linking to it several times, in other places in the same document?

Thanks, Peter.

johnnyrocker 11:17 17 Mar 06

not quite sure but would hyperlink work? (to say a saved image)
gets you a bump anyway.

johnny.

VoG II 11:19 17 Mar 06

Copying the picture then Edit > Paste Special and selecting Link seems to reduce the size somewhat.

Peter 02:09 18 Mar 06

Thanks for your suggestions, but both of them have the file size growing the more graphic is inserted.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

VoG™ - With your expertise in Excel I was banking on you ;-)

Peter.

Peter 12:48 19 Mar 06

Oh well, perhaps I will have to educate the recipient of my Word file in how to work with linked separate graphic files.

That is, of course, unless someone else can come up with a more elegant solution - please.

Peter.

Peter 12:47 22 Mar 06

Sadly no real solution yet so I shall apply the green tick just to close the thread down.

Peter.

Peter 12:47 22 Mar 06

recap 13:06 22 Mar 06

Can you Zip the file, or will it only confuse the recipient?

Peter 01:01 23 Mar 06

Yes recap, I could zip the file, but that would add yet another layer of complexity and, as you suggest, confusion. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Peter.

Taff™ 06:38 23 Mar 06

Just a thought - How big is the graphic in the first place and what format is it? How big does it have to physically be when printed or viewed?

If for example the document you are sending is for on screen reading you could insert it as a .gif file. If it`s for printing you may need something a little larger like a .jpg which can be "sized" appropriately.

Does the graphic appear on every page? If so put it in the Header/Footer. Another little trick would be to do this and on pages you do`t want it printed simply cover it up with a text box or another object that is "filled" white.

Lokit 13:43 23 Mar 06

Have you considered sending the graphic as a separate entity and linking to it within the word document?

What I mean is - if you create a folder and within that folder you have the word document and the graphic as separate items,you can send the folder to the recipient.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017