Reducing size

podlod 10:06 22 Apr 08

Hi, I will soon be acquiring my own website and need to reduce the size of my photos so that I can place approx 6 photos per page, but I find I am unable to accomplish this move as I seem to have a total block. I have downloaded Gimp just recently and read the manual where nec/ary, but it still will not do what i want it to do, could somebody in simple terms tell me how and where I can perform this in Gimp? and will it be possible for any person who goes to my website to be able to click the photo and enlarge if he or she wishes. thanks for any help.

Patr100 12:22 22 Apr 08

Don't use the GIMP but You need to look for thumbnail creation -

Eric10 14:26 22 Apr 08

I've only just got GIMP to try it out and this is what I've found so far.
Open your picture in GIMP. Right-click on the picture and chose "Image", "Scale Image". Enter the size you want in the dialogue box then click the "Scale" button.
You will notice that most of the menu items that seem to be "missing" are on the right-click menu.

podlod 13:43 23 Apr 08

Hi, Patr 100 when you say create in thumbnail please explain, I know how to change thumbnails in the documents mode but otherwise thumbnails elsewhere?
Eric 10,I carried out what you advised in Gimp and saved to drive C but when I opened the photo item in question, it did not save to my dimensions? am I missing something?

Eric10 14:22 23 Apr 08

I've just resized a photo exactly as I outlined to you and saved it under a new name. It was saved at the new size so I can only suggest that you try again.
If you still can't get to grips with it then you may find irfanview click here better for resizing and you can batch resize a whole folder of pictures at once with it. It's also free.

DieSse 00:28 24 Apr 08

"...but when I opened the photo item in question, it did not save to my dimensions? am I missing something?"

You may be viewing it at a zoomed size. Some programs do this automatically to best fit pictures to the viewable screen size.

Zooming does not affect the true size - compare it to using a telescope - things look larger, but actually are not.

When resizing for the web it's best done in pixels - then you can relate the finished size to how large it will show in different screen resolutions.

podlod 11:13 24 Apr 08

Hi, great Eric 10 I have managed to accomplith that, but the only prob I have is when I save the size in pixels, it then asks me the resolution in X and Y, what is best for this? and then it asks quality interpolation being cubic or shall I put none?
Can you please explain how I manage to get hyperlink somebody please. thank you.

podlod 11:25 24 Apr 08

Hi again, one thing I forgot to mention is that I saved the photo I reduced in documents, but when I want to open it up in word or any document to see the reduced size, I cannot find it in documents, and when I return to documents it is still there, obviously there is a simple explanation but I cant work it out, please help.

DieSse 12:16 24 Apr 08

"....it then asks me the resolution in X and Y, what is best for this?"

What is best is what fits your web pages. You can estimate that quite easily by imaging the size you want on your monitor. Since you know the number of pixels on your monitor, you'll know how much space the picture takes up.

Most people browse the web these days at 1078.968 or 1240x1028 pixels. - so you need to fit them on that size screen.

I would forget about the Y pixels (height) and just fit for the X (width - and click the "retail aspect ratio setting. This keeps your pictures the correct height in proprtion to the width.

DieSse 12:20 24 Apr 08

"I saved the photo I reduced in documents, but when I want to open it up in word or any document to see the reduced size"

You don't open a picture with Word - Word only opens documents. You can Insert an Image into a document - then you will see the image - but exactly what are you trying to do here?

If you just want to view the reduced size image - double click on it and it will open up in whatever program you have set to open up images.

DieSse 12:23 24 Apr 08

"Can you please explain how I manage to get hyperlink somebody please."

That depends how you are constructing your website.

What software are you using to do that?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac