Reducing the resolution of photos.

Sapins 16:11 08 Jan 03
  Sapins 16:11 08 Jan 03

Hi Folks,
I have some digital photos on the hard drive I want to E-Mail to someone. They are all round about 1MB. Can I reduce the resolution to make them quicker to send? All help will be very much appreciated.
Regards.
Sapins

jazzypop 16:21 08 Jan 03

Do you have XP? If so, go to My Pictures, right-click on the photo and choose Send to > Mail Recipient. XP then offers to reduce the resolution of the photo, and opens a new email with the picture attached.

Otherwise, it is entirely dependant on which graphics program that you use. Let us know the details, and we can help.

Alternatively, download IrfanView, which is a good, free graphics program that will easily do what you want.

Sapins 16:33 08 Jan 03

Hi jazzypop, I have Adobe Photoshop Elements and I am shortly going to install PhotoImpact7 and ulead COOL 360, I have XP on my "D" partition so I could use that but, if possible, I would like to use the above programmes as well. Can I do this?

anchor 16:38 08 Jan 03

Irfanview is a very good programme, and free!.

It will give you control of both the amount of size reduction, and the level of JPG compression. It will also enable you to do many of the other things that other graphic programmes are capable of.

Its available here:

click here

hssutton 16:43 08 Jan 03

Sapins
In Photoshop go to "Image" "Resize". a box will come up giving you the options of changing image size and resolution, and at the bottom L/H of the screen you will see the file size.

Harry

Sapins 16:50 08 Jan 03

Thanks anchor and hssutton- I think I'll be able to manage ok now. Will bookmark irfanview for later. As always this helproom never ceases to amaze me. Such brilliant, fast replies and all FREE. Keep up the good work folks.
Regards
Sapins.
Oh! and an excellent New Year to you all.

anchor 16:51 08 Jan 03

Just seen your last posting.

Adobe Elements should do this easily. From memory, as I recall, that with the picture open, you select size, photo size, and choose the size and resolution you want. Compression is adjusted when you export to file, choose jpg, and save, then you have the option to choose the level of compression.

Probably your other programmes will do this also, but I am not familiar with them.

tbh72 17:35 08 Jan 03

Not many people use this format & I have know Idea why. I discovered this whilst playing with MS Photo Editor and haven't looked back since.

PNG = Portable Networks Graphics.

It has two major benefit's of JPG's etc. Firstly it reduces file size significantly & secondly the picture / image loses NO QUALITY.

If any buffs no how it achieves this I would love to know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…