Reducing image files to less than 50kb

IML 19:57 05 May 03

Using a digital camera I save images at a minimum resolution of 116kb and as a JPEG. I need to save at 50kb or less to put my images on the website but have not been able to do so. The website hosted by Communigate.co.uk will not accept images of more than 50kb. How do I solve my problem?

Confab 20:00 05 May 03

What image/photo software do you have on your pc?

AndySD 20:01 05 May 03

If you have an Ihoto/image editing program then open the picture with it and set the Dots Per Inch (DPI) to 72. If this is still not small enough then crop the image if you can.

Confab 20:06 05 May 03

There are various ways to reduce the file size rather than cropping the image.

You can change the DPI size or the Jpeg compression or a mixture of both. It really depends on what imaging software you have installed for us to advise how its done.

Regards

Amber

most graphics software gives you the option of saving Jpegs at different qualities there is usually an options button on the save as dialog.

i recommend irfanveiw its free.

Pesala 21:09 05 May 03

See my thread on Graphic Image Formats:
click here

jazzypop 00:07 06 May 03

An image, at it's simplest, is made up of a series of dots. Each dot can hold a number of possible colours.

To get a smaller image, you need to use less dots, and fewer colours per dot.

To use fewer dots, open your image in a graphics editing programme ( I recommend IrfanView from click here if you do not already have one). Then change the number of dots per inch (the resolution) of your image, and then 'save as' with a new file name. As suggested above, 72 dpi (dots per inch) will look fine for on-screen viewing.

If that does not make the picture small enough, try using less colours per dot. Open the 72 dpi image in your graphics program again, and change the 'colour-depth' to 16-bit, or 64,000 colours. Again, choose 'save as', use a new file name.

Finally, the format of the picture (the 'electronic wrapper' around the dots that make up your picture) can make a difference.

If your image file name currently ends in tif, tiff, bmp or gif, then once more open your 72 dpi image, choose 'save as', and save it as a jpg or jpeg file (you will need to change the 'file type', as well as the name). Jpeg files apply a compression to the picture, which means it can pack almost the same information into a smaller size on disk, resulting in a smaller file size.

There is plenty more information available on the web - search Google for 'guide optimise graphics for web', or similar terms.

Feel free to ask if any of the above does not make sense.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…