Redirected to "bad" site

anskyber 18:37 20 Sep 06

My brother in law who is on NTL cable service runs a web site for his local golf club click here when I click the link I am taken to the correct site. Its in Newark Notts UK

Recently when he does the same he is redirected to another site with the same address but it has all sorts of other links, eg the local hotels in Newark, some of the links are to sites in Newark NJ. USA. He has sent me a copy of the page he gets and it comes through to me rather curiously with my PC warning of a request for an Active X control wishing to be downloaded. I'm OK with the Active X issue and did not agree to it. Any thoughts on what might be happening?

VoG II 18:41 20 Sep 06

Enable viewing of hidden files and folders.

Look for the file

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (no file extension).

Right click it, rename to hosts.old and restart the PC.

anskyber 18:48 20 Sep 06

Thanks, I'll pass it on. Out of interest what does that do and does the "error" signify a problem. He tells me by the way that he did a full Acronis roll back to a time before the problem but to no avail.

VoG II 18:50 20 Sep 06

This click here explains it better than I can.

A 'good' hosts file can be obtained from click here

anskyber 18:56 20 Sep 06

Thanks will be looking at both.

anskyber 19:35 20 Sep 06

Files have been renamed to hosts.old and "good" hosts obtained without success. The funny part is that the only site currently affected is the Golf Club site for my brother in law.

anskyber 20:03 20 Sep 06

Just a thought/question. Is it possible that the corruption is with the NTL server rather than my b-in-l computer? Ie is the hi-jack at the server end?

VoG II 20:07 20 Sep 06

I did wonder about my suggestion when I noted that you said he had restored an Acronis image and no change (I hadn't taken that in when I first posted).

I do know that NTL cache web pages - that's wht NTL users can't get, e.g., Ad-aware updates on the day they are released.

Have any NTL users tried anskyber's link?

anskyber 20:41 20 Sep 06

Hi. I have managed to check with 2 other NTL users who have the same problem. So it does appear to be an NTL server issue. Other than reporting to NTL have you any further comments?

VoG II 20:45 20 Sep 06

Nope. I would contact NTL and point this out. Somehow I doubt whether you will get very far...

anskyber 20:47 20 Sep 06

Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…