Red X on Taskbar Speaker

badgermansix 03:13 AM 11 May 11

Vista Home Premium. My friend has a Red X on his speaker icon in the taskbar, and no sound. I suggested to him that he gets into device manager, Sound, video and game controllers and disables and then enables his sound card.

This did the trick the red x went, and the sound came back. However, when he restarted the next day, the sound had gone and the red X is back.

Any ideas please? Thanks.

chub_tor 08:54 AM 11 May 11

Instead of disabling and re-enabling the sound in Device Manager - which merely stops and starts the sound - he should uninstall (and delete) the sound driver then let Windows search for a new driver.

lotvic 10:12 AM 11 May 11

Has he got it on 'Mute'? click on the speaker icon in the taskbar and untick 'Mute'

woodchip 10:16 AM 11 May 11

It sound like its disabling its self in device Manager, Tell him Her to try Updating the Drivers for it, or there may be a IRQ conflict

woodchip 10:21 AM 11 May 11

For IRQ's Go to Start\Programs\Accessories\System tools\System Information\Hardware Resources\Conflicts Sharing OR IRQ's

PS though Some IRQ's are Shared they do work together okay, BUT NOT ALL

rdave13 10:35 AM 11 May 11

Also check in services that windows audio is selected to start and on auto.

badgermansix 14:45 PM 11 May 11

Thank you all, I'll pass this on.

Thanks again.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites