Red X on Taskbar Speaker

badgermansix 03:13 AM 11 May 11

Vista Home Premium. My friend has a Red X on his speaker icon in the taskbar, and no sound. I suggested to him that he gets into device manager, Sound, video and game controllers and disables and then enables his sound card.

This did the trick the red x went, and the sound came back. However, when he restarted the next day, the sound had gone and the red X is back.

Any ideas please? Thanks.

chub_tor 08:54 AM 11 May 11

Instead of disabling and re-enabling the sound in Device Manager - which merely stops and starts the sound - he should uninstall (and delete) the sound driver then let Windows search for a new driver.

lotvic 10:12 AM 11 May 11

Has he got it on 'Mute'? click on the speaker icon in the taskbar and untick 'Mute'

woodchip 10:16 AM 11 May 11

It sound like its disabling its self in device Manager, Tell him Her to try Updating the Drivers for it, or there may be a IRQ conflict

woodchip 10:21 AM 11 May 11

For IRQ's Go to Start\Programs\Accessories\System tools\System Information\Hardware Resources\Conflicts Sharing OR IRQ's

PS though Some IRQ's are Shared they do work together okay, BUT NOT ALL

rdave13 10:35 AM 11 May 11

Also check in services that windows audio is selected to start and on auto.

badgermansix 14:45 PM 11 May 11

Thank you all, I'll pass this on.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11