Red X instead of image

tony-guitar 09:56 25 Nov 05

I've just received an email with a pic attachment, but instead of opening i just get a blank screen with a red 'X' in top left corner. How do i fix please? No previous probs from this person. Only change is Norton A/V upgrade from 2003 to 2006. System: XP/SP2/Outlook(not express). Any help please

Devil Fish 10:03 25 Nov 05

when you open the email check the top of the screen

some email clients will have a message at the top of the incoming message along the lines of certain item/pictures have been blocked to prevent information being sent

If this is the case click on the message then it should allow the picture to be viewed

Hamish 10:15 25 Nov 05

Look at this thread click here

Hamish 11:11 25 Nov 05

Hi, I think you posted back on the wrong thread, should have been this one.

In OE try going to tools, options,
security and about halfway down the page under download images make sure that there is no tick in the box blocking images.

I have also found that its the way the emails are sent. If your friend tries to sent the email to themself and see what happens and if it does not work then copies and pastes the entire email into a new message and sends it.

Also they have to make sure that under tools, options and send that they are not sending in plain text

Hope this helps

tony-guitar 11:20 25 Nov 05

hi Hamish. Does OE mean Outlook Express? If so i'm not, instead its "Outlook", which probably accounts for me not being able to see the same page you are describing under the 'Security' tab

Hamish 11:29 25 Nov 05

Yes OE means Outlook Express. Not sure about the settings for Outlook

tony-guitar 21:44 25 Nov 05

Hi Hamish, hope you see this. Problem sorted (on this occasion). My work colleague has been working on an illustration using Adobe Photoshop, on a Mac computer and sent the image using CMYK. After converting it to RGB it was fine. Thanks for help anyway

Hamish 22:09 25 Nov 05

Hi tony-guitar, just read that and pleased that it has been sorted. I should have read your post properly and not wasted your time with OE. I do use Photoshop and have taken note of the fix. Thanks

palinka 19:01 26 Nov 05

How about a tick in the box beside Resolved and then click Resolved. Saves others of us reading throught he entire thread only to find it's all sorted.

tony-guitar 20:25 26 Nov 05

Sorry Palinka. Should have ticked, but since it was an AppleMac problem, i forgot. The scenario is that i am a printer(as in big Heidelberg printing machines) and our repro dept has about 20 'Macs', and i asked a colleague to help me with a logo for my Band.(we are good) But they use Adobe Photoshop using CMYK(cyan,magenta,yellow,black) which Windows doesn't(aparently) recognise. So my colleague converted it to RGB(red,green,blue)which is fine.We didn't realise the prob, until Hamish(Forum member)suggested he emailed himself, which brought the problem to light.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…