Red monitor, blown motherboard, whats next?

King Diamond 08:14 27 Apr 03

Just got up this morning to see that my monitor has went red. Could this mean that one of my electron guns has packed in?

Only last week my ASUS motherboard blew, had to get a new one, so not having the best of luck at the moment.

It's a DEll P991 19".

Have checked the leads, only need to check the video card...gulp, if thats gone them I'm in trouble, but I'm sure it's not that.

Have tried Degaussing the monitor, that made no difference...what you thik lads?..it's a gonner?

Bought it from "Lets Buy It" via a company called RATS UK, appropriate name depending on what happens. I have e-mailed them and awaiting a response.

Gongoozler 10:51 27 Apr 03

Hi King Diamond. My first response is to suggest that you just go back to bed. It looks like this is going to be a bad day for you!

If the monitor has gone red, then it isn't an electron gun. The monitor has 3 colours, red, green and blue. If one gun fails, you will get magenta, cyan or yellow. If your monitor has an on-screen menu then try that and see if it has the normal colours. If it does, then the crt end of the monitor is ok. Degaussing the monitor won't help, that only cures local colour patch problems caused by magnetising of the crt mask. My guess is that when your motherboard failed it damaged the graphics card, but the simplest way to check that would be to try a cheap graphics card. Set the computer display to "Standard Display Adapter (VGA)" and you won't need to mess up your settings by installing a new driver.

BlueMeanie 21:58 27 Apr 03

Could be a loose monitor cable, give the cable a wiggle along its lengh, especially near the connector(s).

hugh-265156 22:03 27 Apr 03

some monitors if you disconnect from the graphics card and switch on have a diagnostic screen that appears.might be worth a try.

Gandalph 22:19 27 Apr 03

Could be a dry solder joint, very common in monitors. I had the same problem some years ago but my monitor screen was green. Took about five minutes to sort out. Take the cover off the monitor and look for gray solder joints and apply a soldering iron to reactivate the flux, the solder will then turn back into a shiny silver.

hugh-265156 22:23 27 Apr 03

please do not open your monitor even turned off for days it still holds voltage that could kill.dont do this!!

woodchip 22:28 27 Apr 03

Can you try your monitor on someone else's computer

woodchip 22:29 27 Apr 03

PS it may be a faulty signal cable or have you bent a pin in the socket

King Diamond 23:22 27 Apr 03

Cheers guys...tried it in my other pc and it was still red, so thankfully my Ti4600 is ok, that would have killed my wallet if that had went.

I checked the pins, they are ok.
I wont open the monitor...way to risky.
The monitor made some funny noises this morning and finally blacked out completely.

It was liquidised stock when I bought it, reduced from £350 - £159.99, but a lesson learned here.

If anyone is gonna buy second hand stuff, don't do it with a monitor. Get a new one with a full warranty.

Wait till I tell you about my past week -

Motherboard blew, monitor blew, had cold for 10days and accidently cancelled my gas direct debit.

Heres the irony -

I was finishing an assessment for my HNC pc/network support and it was on monitor faults. I finished it this morning with a red screen before it died a death.

On a good note, college money is in tomorrow, but the wife has that spent already. (I'll be after a new monitor lads).

Offline 01:32 28 Apr 03

It's also spring! :-)

woodchip 15:18 28 Apr 03

Lidl as Hyundai monitor in at the moment 17" £89

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…