"red" light on Router, no connection...

KorgY 14:28 PM 28 Nov 08

This morning, I started my pc up as normal, but the router of my (belkin G) has a red light showing on the frar right. (with the internet icon), can't seem to connect to the intyernet now, and i have a desktop and laptop as well - and neither work.

I have reset my router, but the red lighht remains. ASnd idea what this could be? do routers just "go" on you?

Technotiger 14:42 PM 28 Nov 08

Hi, by 'reset' I guess you mean that you have pressed a reset button, if so try this - disconnect the power to the router, wait a full ten seconds then re-connect the power. Might make a difference.

KorgY 14:42 PM 28 Nov 08

Sorry, I meant to add that my server is Tiscali, and was wondering if they have "cut me off"? - perhaps - or there servers are down?

colberly 16:31 PM 28 Nov 08

Tiscali servers are fine here. On a couple of occasions when this has happened to me,I have had to uninstall and reinstall the router, after trying everything else. I don't have a Belkin though, mine's a Netgear. Maybe worth a try with yours.

Halmer 16:46 PM 28 Nov 08

until I had spoken to Tiscali just to make sure that it isn't them.

Technotiger 18:17 PM 28 Nov 08

Have you tried my suggestion as above?

KorgY 22:38 PM 28 Nov 08

Yes tried all suggeestions above. Now, however, the light works on the router, and i am able to get "LAN Connection" - as i write on my laptop at the moment. But when i take the lan cable out,it doesn't carry on "connecting", it either cuts off, or "connected with lomited acess"

So i've established that it's not a hardware fault i don't think, but i've reset the router, done all the passwords etc - as I've done in the past, but stillcan't get wireless to work. It doesn't work on my desktop either (that has a Netgear wireless adapter) so not sure what it is.

KorgY 22:42 PM 28 Nov 08

sorry meant to add I'm on Windows Vista 32 on my laptop, and XP pro (32) on my desktop. On my laptop it says (when i hover my mouse over the connection box on bottum right) "Belkin54g Access local and internet"

woodchip 23:40 PM 28 Nov 08

Looks like you need to Reset your Wireless Encryption Key and SSID in the router setup page, then use these for wireless Computer settings

KorgY 00:09 AM 29 Nov 08

I sorted it now. What it was, is that (somehow) I got two SSID's trying to connect at the same time, one was "unidentified network" - but still had the SSID name "Belking54g", my other was the same, "Belkin54g", BUT it was the one that should have been connecting, so a SSID with possibly a Different IP was tryin to connect - not sure.

Thanks all for the input,

woodchip 12:29 PM 29 Nov 08

You need to delete the one you do not use

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11