Red light, but no green light

HenryVII 12:06 28 Aug 07

My PC has packed up. When I switch on the red HD LED stays on, the Power On green LED stays off, and nothing appears on the monitor. (The monitor is OK.) The DVD & CD trays won't open.

Cables inside seem to be OK, fans are working, no dust.

Any ideas, before I rob a bank to buy a new PC?

rawprawn 12:15 28 Aug 07

click here
Sorry I couln't resist it! -:))

Taff™ 12:17 28 Aug 07

Sounds like the PSU has gone. Have you got another you can replace it with to check it out?

HenryVII 12:39 28 Aug 07

The PSU is fairly new, Taff, and since lights are on, apart from the Power On LED, and things are whirring away, I assumed the PSU is OK.

Taff™ 12:48 28 Aug 07

OK a couple of other suggestions. Can you check the HDD in another computer as a slave to see if it can be seen and data viewable. Try removing the CMOS battery for a while (Say 10 minutes) and then attempt a reboot.

I would also remove all connections to the Optical drives and see if one of those is the culprit - in fact try this first.

HenryVII 13:56 28 Aug 07

Couldn't check HDD independently (using wife's notebook here while she's at work - don't tell her, please). Did the other things you suggested, but no luck. It looks like a bin job, after all.

Cheers

alan2273 14:06 28 Aug 07

Not necessarily a bin job.
PSU's can fail and still put out enough power to keep fans whirring.
As Taff says get your PSU checked out.

woodchip 14:10 28 Aug 07

Yes that's the first thing I would Try a New PSU. Make sure it big enough when you fit one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac