//some 3rd party need geo

Red Hat Linux 9 - What is host:dir format?

poogles_uk 11:10 10 Aug 04

When trying to mount a hard drive from a snap server, which i beleive is in the NFS format, i type in something like

mount -a -w NFS /dev/hdb /mnt/snap

i have created mnt/snap using mkdir.

But when i type the above in (can't garuntee thats exactly what i was typing) it said it couldn't do it because it wasn't in the host:dir format.

Any ideas?

Chegs ® 12:19 10 Aug 04

Not certain,but a guess would be its trying to alert you to linux being unable to mount it due to its filesystem (NFS)

poogles_uk 13:15 10 Aug 04

Its in a big manual for it how to do it for NFS, but dont say ought about that error.

Goycoolea 21:35 15 Aug 04

> When trying to mount a hard drive from a snap server,
> which i beleive is in the NFS format, i type in something
> like
>
> mount -a -w NFS /dev/hdb /mnt/snap

Something like? It doesn't make sense if you are trying to do what I think you are trying to do. I guess you have a Snap server, and you have a Redhat box. Now, I think that on the RH box you are trying to mount the remote NFS share, which resides on the Snap server. Is this right?

> But when i type the above in (can't garuntee thats
> exactly what i was typing) it said it couldn't do it
> because it wasn't in the host:dir format.

host:dir format is required for NFS. What this means is hostname:/directory, where hostname is your remote server and /directory is the remote directory _being shared_. You need to know what directory is being shared via NFS on the Snap server so you can mount it on your RH box. It says as much in the first paragraph of 'man 5 nfs'.

So I would first look at the Snap server and make sure NFS is properly set up on it, _then_ sort out the RH box.

Here is an example from my fstab:

octave:/data /mnt/octave nfs rw,noexec,nosuid,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft 0 0

So on octave (remove server) I am sharing /data, which is mounted locally as /mnt/octave. I specify the filesystem as nfs, and mount it read-write.

All the best,

Dennis

poogles_uk 08:13 16 Aug 04

Ive found out it is XFS not nfs, and red hat cant read it, so i will need to try mandrake as i know it can read it!!

Goycoolea 09:46 16 Aug 04

They should be using a similar kernel, no? Mandrake does have support for the xfs filesystem, but such support has been in the Linux kernel for years. I'd be surprised (but not amazed) if RH had removed it for some reason.

I guess what you're doing is trying to mount a hard drive that was taken out of a Snap server?

What is the output from:

# mount -t xfs /dev/hdxn /mnt/foo

(Where hdxn is your partition & /mnt/foo your mount point.)

Dennis

zanwalk 09:50 16 Aug 04

Not wishing to lecture here, but merely pointing out that a 'thanks' to Goycoolea would not go amiss, as he has gone to some trouble to try and solve your problem, even though in the end it did not!

poogles_uk 11:16 16 Aug 04

Some more info, the snap server has a mobo problem, and the hard drives are in the linux machine.

Ill close this, as ive now got the parts from snap appliance to repair it i hope.

Thanks

Sam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…