Red dots?

NoobSaibot 21:58 02 Jan 06

Hi,

I had this problem for a while now but i chose to ignore it. Now its not funny anymore. Everytime i play a power hungary game such as doom3 or quake 4 i start to see random red dots on the screen and im pretty sure thats my graphic card heating up. I also know that running the game on lower settings solves the problem but why would i wanna do that as the games themselves run smoothly on high settings. Any suggestions?

I have a Sapphire All in wonder 9800 pro graphic card.

GuZ><0r 22:00 02 Jan 06

Have you got the latest drivers?

NoobSaibot 23:10 02 Jan 06

yes i do, as i said, its been happening for a while. Dating back to when i had catalyst 5.2 drivers.But happens only with heavy duty games on high settings.

DieSse 23:15 02 Jan 06

Perhaps you case could be better ventilated?

Perhaps the fan on the graphics crad is not doing it's job well enough.

Perhaps the RAM on the card is too temperature sensitive.

Is there a card right below the graphics card - if there is, try moving it further down the case. Try a bottom mounted case fan blowing upwards - this moves a common case *hot-spot* which occurs underneath graphics cards.

Maybe the card is simply faulty.

DieSse 23:16 02 Jan 06

Maybe the PSU hasn't enough capacity, and the voltages are drooping when the system is working very hard?

NoobSaibot 23:23 02 Jan 06

I have a VGA cooler right underneath the card, which is expelling hot air generated by the fan on the card outside. I also have 3 case fans including a fan on the processor which also helps keep the temperature of the case down.
Temperature inside the case doesnt go higher than 56 degrees celsius under high load.

I have never overclocked it!

The minimum PSU requirement for this card is 300W and believe me i have used this on a 250W and it worked. Now i have a 400W PSU which i dont think is the problem.

DieSse 23:27 02 Jan 06

*I have a VGA cooler right underneath the card, which is expelling hot air generated by the fan on the card outside.*

Try it with the cooler removed - it just might be impeding air flow to the card - air-flow is a funny old thing - as much a black art as a science!

The case temperature will likely not be taken from near under the graphics card - so in itself is not a great pointer.

NoobSaibot 23:30 02 Jan 06

Great thanks i would try that and see how it performs. But got to say its very annoying to see these dots when a game like quake 4 on high settings running at high Frame rates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced