Red crosses on network drives

HighTower 10:34 22 May 03

I use windows 2000 on two computers and share drives between them both. Often the drives have a red cross under them which I previously understood to mean that they were disconnected or offline. However double clicking them connects me to the drive almost instantly, but the red cross remains.

The system works fine, I'm just curious as to why the crosses remain. Anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks,

recap 11:32 22 May 03

When you see a red cross in W2K it usually means that you do not have the permissions to view that item. A security policy has been set to restrict access to them, only administrators should be able to view them. Why they are still there is a bit of a puzzle, you really should not be able to gain access to them.

HighTower 12:13 22 May 03

Thanks for that, you've probably pointed me in the right direction! I'll post back when it's resolved!

stlucia 12:46 22 May 03

Several of the network drives on my work PC have red crosses, and it's never caused a problem. The connections seem to be always there despite the crosses, and I can use the drive; but developing recap's answer a bit further (and I'm surmising now), the ones with red crosses contain one or more files or folders to which I don't have access.

It is a bit confusing, because sometimes ALL my drives have red crosses against them, and that means that the network has crashed again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…