Is a red cross a security issue?

golucky 09:23 10 Jan 07

I'm running Windows XP Home with the associated Outlook Express and Internet Explorer. An increasing problem is that some web pictures and E-mail picture attachments show only as a red cross in a black-outlined box. I've recently downloaded and installed AVG's latest excellent free programme and think this may be the cause. Can anybody tell me what to look for and try to overcome this problem? Many thanks.

VoG II 09:24 10 Jan 07
  golucky 09:39 10 Jan 07

Thank you VoG. I've already printed out Microsoft's page and tried the remedies. I guess I've missinterpreted their suggestions and will try again.

golucky 09:49 11 Feb 07

An enquiry to Windows Advisor yiealded the following successful remedy:-
"Try resetting Internet Explorer to default:
To reset Internet Explorer 6 to default do the following:
Launch Internet Explorer and go to Tools> Internet Options> on the first tab, "General" press the "Delete Files" and "Delete Cookies" buttons and then go to the "Security" tab and click "Default Level". Finally go to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Restore Defaults" button. All this should reset IE to default and allow the exchange of information you require. If this does not work, Please try to disable third party plugins. To do this; in Internet Explorer go to Tools> Internet Options> and go to the "Advanced" tab and in the list untick "Enable third-party browser extensions", click "OK".

For Internet Explorer 7:
Click Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Internet Options, on the General tab click the "Delete" button, click "Delete All", click "Yes". Go to the Security tab and click "Reset All Zones To Default Level". Go to the Advanced tab and click "Restore Advanced Settings", then click "Reset", click "Reset" > "Close" > "OK". Try again.

Also, in Outlook Express go to Tools > Options > Security tab and untick the box marked 'Block images and other content in external HTML email', click OK."
I hope this benefits others similarly inflicted.
Golucky

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…