Recycling my trusty old laptop

Stompbox 17:46 02 Jan 14

Hi. My laptop is almost due for retirement. I'd like to recycle it if possible, but don't want any data to fall into the wrong hands. Should I remove the hard drive and destroy it? Or is there some software that would wipe the drive completely and securely? Any help would be greatly appreciated, please.

wee eddie 19:07 02 Jan 14

I don't charge my computer very often but all the previous Hard Drives have been removed and turned into External Drives

bumpkin 19:26 02 Jan 14

Good battery then.

onthelimit1 08:54 03 Jan 14

bumpkin :-)

chub_tor 11:15 03 Jan 14

The only truly secure way to make sure that no data is available on an old hard drive is to hit it with a hammer several times, that said for most purposes the DriveWiper included with CCleaner Tools is perfectly adequate. Like wee eddie I re-use my drives as external back ups.

alanrwood 12:13 03 Jan 14

Look for "BootnNuke". It is an iso which you make a CD from. Boot with it and it will completelt destroy the data on the whole disk. It is a program specifically for this problem.;

woodchip 19:17 03 Jan 14

As above, I used a USB caddy to convert it for external Storage

wee eddie 20:14 03 Jan 14

If you decide to buy a Caddy. Pay extra and go for one that is USB3. You'll not regret it

Terry Brown 09:51 01 Feb 14

When you decide to dispose of your old laptop, find your local Freecycle' group and offer it to them.

This is a group that rather than dump old stuff (could be anything) will post it on their website and if anyone wants it they will collect. This is a FREE site, in the respect that all goods are given FREELY and no money exchanges hands.

You might even find something that you would like on that site.

Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now