Recycled Bin files renamed

Tedlaw 17:11 24 Jan 04

Files deleted are stored in recycled folder as DC**** i.e. deleted file Test.txt appears as DC23229.txt. Also a file is created INFO which is updated with each deletion currently 6352Kb. OS Win98 se. Any ideas as to program causing this or method to disable it.

Jester2K 17:18 24 Jan 04

Thats how they are supposed to be.

To look at the recycle bin properly open the Recycle Bin on the desktop or at the bottom of the tree in Windows Explorer.

Recycle folder is a system folder and you should look at it directly.

Tedlaw 10:03 25 Jan 04

So far you and I are the only ones to see DC files. I have been using win98 for 6 years with no sign of DC files. I've checked with friends and they don't have them. The DC files appeared after a HD failure and reinstallation of win98 to a new HD.

Jester2K 07:48 26 Jan 04

It's been a while since i used 98 on a daily basis and looked at this but I was sure thats how they were stored.

Obviously i'm wrong.

Jester2K 07:52 26 Jan 04

taken from click here

Note: When a deleted file is moved to the recycle bin Windows 95 creates or appends file header information to a hidden file named INFO in the \RECYCLED directory. It then places the deleted files in the same directory and renames them. Files in the \RECYCLED directory have names that begin with DC, e.g. DC2.COM, DC3.DOC, DC4.TXT.

Now i know thats 95 but i was sure it was the same for 98.

Now heres the question....

Are you looking directly at the recycle bin through the RECYCLED folder? If so then I'd expect to see these files.

If you are looking at the Recycle Bin through the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop or the Recycle Bin folder in Windows Explorer then there MIGHT be a problem.

Tedlaw 10:47 26 Jan 04

Thanks for the info. It seems a Microsoft pointless operation since the files sit there until deleted so why rename them in the first place. I use Norton utilities which has its own recycle bin, it appears to have hijacked the windows recylcle bin,though it didn't previously, as I can only set properties in the Norton bin and it lists files by their actual names so I'll use that one in future. Thanks again for your assistance.

Jester2K 11:34 26 Jan 04

"It seems a Microsoft pointless operation "

No its not. Image deleting two files with the same name but from different locations.

The first deleted copy would be overwritten by the second so you could only recover the second. By renaming them to DC.txt etc you can have as many copies of the same filename in the Recycle Bin as will fit.

Norton Utilities doesn't have its own recycle bin, it hijacks the Windows Recycle Bin as you say. Think of it as an extension to the Windows Recycle Bin rather than in addition to it.

The Windows Recycle Bin also lists files by their REAL names, but you have to realise that looking directly at the Recycled folder (as you stated you where doing) results in seeing the files in their "naked" state (ie DC001.ext etc)where as viewing through the Recycle Bin Desktop Icon will show the file names properly (ie Document.txt)

Basically i think you've got yourself confused by looking at the RECYCLED folder and not at the Recycle Bin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…