Recycle bin slow to empty

Peverelli 16:15 06 Apr 04

A friend with a fairly new PC (XP, 512 mB RAM) complains that whenever he tries to empty his recycle bin, it takes up to a couple of minutes to do so (even if it's just one small file in the bin). The PC seems to slow down to a crawl during the operation.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

ozzy 123 16:19 06 Apr 04

have you tried using spybot which is free to download. this will weed out any unwanted trackers and spies on your system which can slopw you down.
and it may be good idea to scan your system with a good antivirus.

Diodorus Siculus 16:20 06 Apr 04

Also try the system file checker

start

run

sfc /scannow

GaT7 16:36 06 Apr 04

You can also try scanning your hard drive for errors (using chkdsk/scandisk) & defragmenting. Disk scanning may run a long time depending on the size of your drive so best kept running overnight. (Some experience a 'better' disk scan using chkdsk at the command prompt in DOS).

Peverelli 19:40 06 Apr 04

Thanks. I'll pass your suggestions on to him. He runs AdAware regularly and has up to date AVG, so I think that it's probably some setting that needs tweaking. Sfc and chkdsk are good ideas though.

Peverelli 08:14 08 Apr 04

He has tried the suggestions above but there's no improvement. He also tells me that when he double clicks on the recycle bin icon the PC searches for about 20 seconds (with the animated torch) before opening up the bin. This seems to suggest that the PC does not 'know' where the bin is located.

Peverelli 14:00 08 Apr 04

refresh

Diodorus Siculus 14:03 08 Apr 04

click here

- a way of repairing the bin.

Peverelli 14:32 08 Apr 04

Good people. I have sent your suggestions to him (with advice to join this site) and await his reply.

Thanks.

Peverelli 21:28 19 Apr 04

He's tried the above suggestions but with no success. He now tells me this problem also occurs when he tries to open the Control Panel (ie: takes about a minute to open up with the "search torch" appearing).

Diodorus Siculus 23:10 19 Apr 04

I am loathe to suggest this, but a reinstall of the OS over the current install may help. I say loathe, as it seems overkill.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…