Recycle Bin problems

Rubroy 09:05 21 Mar 04

Help! My recycle bin is eating my deleted files without leaving them in the bin. It appears empty. I am running XP Home with lots of spare Hard Drive space so the bin is not overfilled. The Bin properties are properly set to retain the files and I have tried system restore beyond the point where I know it worked OK but no success. I have not downloaded any new programmes recently. If the Recycle bin is corrupted can I reinstall it or has anyone any other solutions please?

The Real Fizz 09:13 21 Mar 04

Have you tried right clicking recycle bin and clicking on properties? Some have a check box for not sending to the recycle bin and deleting straight away.

Rubroy 10:43 21 Mar 04

Thanks Real Fizz- but as I said the Bin properties are properly set to retain the files.

The BB 11:09 21 Mar 04

check you have enough spare space - if there is not enough space to 'store' the deleted files then they are truly deleted

Rubroy 10:31 22 Mar 04

Thanks too BB.

I have 116GB of free space and the bin is set to 105. No way can I have ever had 11.6GB of deleted files! Anyway I understood that if the bin got filled it rolls the files ove,ie totally deletes older content to make way for new and keeps on doing so. No, I don't think overfilling is the problem but I am grateful for any suggestions. Any more out there please?

Rubroy 10:33 22 Mar 04

The BB

re the last- sorry the bin is set to 10% - not 105!

thms 10:39 22 Mar 04

Go to run and type in sfc /scannow this will check for missing files. Have your xp disk ready.

Don't know if this will fix problem but worth a try.

Rubroy 11:40 22 Mar 04

thms

Nice try: I went through the motions but no luck. I do not have a Windows XP disk but Evesham assured me that that their Product Recovery Disk supplied with the machine is the same. Scannow accepted the disk and processed it but I still have the problem.

I live in hopes!

Rubroy 11:41 22 Mar 04

thms

Nice try: I went through the motions but no luck. I do not have a Windows XP disk but Evesham assured me that that their Product Recovery Disk supplied with the machine is the same. Scannow accepted the disk and processed it but I still have the problem.

I live in hopes!

thms 12:43 22 Mar 04

crx1600

Beat me to it. Had a server error.

Site seems to be full of bugs today.

Rubroy 15:51 22 Mar 04

crx1600 and thms

Thanks guys - but I am embarrassed to tell you that although I went through the route carefully, it did not work for me! I still have a crud recycle bin! I DO appreciate the effort, but now what?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…