Recycle bin problem

Meshuga 13:55 06 Aug 04

My recycle bin icon on the desktop shows that it has something in it and if i click on it the window that opens is empty. If i click onempty recycle bin I get asked if I am sure I want to delete "Windows". What do I do please because if anything else is put in the bin I wont be able to delete it in case I get rid of "Windows" which could be disastrous. Needless to say, I did not put "Windows" in it in the first place. Meshuga.

Wes Tam ;-) 14:02 06 Aug 04

Meshuga have you tried deleting items individually from the bin?

Leave (say) a couple of files in it then try again to empty the bin.

Meshuga 14:13 06 Aug 04

At the moment there is nothing shown in the bin window, only in the icon. Are you suggesting that I put some items in and if so, how do i remove them one at a time. I`m not sure how to do that. I usually remoe all at one go after i am sure that i wont need to restore any. Meshuga.

Wes Tam ;-) 14:28 06 Aug 04

Meshuga right click an item and left click delete.

Your problem sounds like one I had some years ago. Seem to remember that it was because there was too much in the bin, but I can't think how I got over it.

I will give the grey cells a rest and something may pop to mind; or I may be rescued by one of our knowledgeable members :-)

Wes Tam ;-) 14:36 06 Aug 04

What's the size of your Recycle Bin?

(right click the bin>properties)

Wes Tam ;-) 14:39 06 Aug 04

Could be a damaged or deleted INFO file.

See click here to correct it.

Meshuga 14:40 06 Aug 04

Thanks for that. I will hang on a while to see if ether you or someone comes up with an answer. In this case it cant be because the bin is overfull because it was completely empty.Even clicking on " Restore all" has no effect because to all intents there is probably nothing there.Meshuga.

Meshuga 14:57 06 Aug 04

The recycle bin size was set at 10% on the sliding bar and i have increased it to 50%. I have also (Foolishly) clicked on " empty recycle bin",which it has done, but now the " empty recycle bin " button has disappeared and if i Right click on the recycle bin icon i find that the empty recycle bin word is greyed out. Any idea what i do to recover it.Meshuga.

Wes Tam ;-) 15:07 06 Aug 04

Meshuga 1st - 10% should be ample.

2nd - " empty recycle bin " button does disappear when the bin is empty.

Create a 'nonsense' and then send it to the bin and you should find it working OK now.

Meshuga 15:17 06 Aug 04

Re your 14-39 post with click here I have just noticed that this repair only applies to win 95/98. My apologies, i should have said at the beginning that my os is XPHome. Do you think a system restore would help. Meshuga.

Wes Tam ;-) 15:20 06 Aug 04

Meshuga have you tried my post of 15:07?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…