Recycle Bin not retaining deleted files

Rubroy 17:56 12 Jan 04

I am using XP. My recycle bin will not retain deleted files and appears empty after several JPEGS (among other files) have been deleted. The properties settings have not been changed and are at the default setting to retain files (not to delete them). Although it appears empty, if I select 'empty recycle bin' I am asked if I am sure I want permanently to delete these {number of) files. Evesham help line suggests I re- install windows which would mean wiping my hard drive (C). At present this would be a major operatation which I don't want to undertake, although I have backed up 'My Documents' as a precaution and several of my programme files. I am using about 1% of my 120GB hard drive capacity for the Recycle Bin and this is more than enough. Any suggestions for solving this without the major upheaval of a re-installation?

Thanks for any help

Curio 18:13 12 Jan 04

Just in case - do a System File check, it may clear the problem.
Start, Run, sfc /scannow

Rubroy 18:40 12 Jan 04

Thanks Curio, but when I tried this I got the message "windows cannot find sfc/scannow"

VoG II 18:42 12 Jan 04

Space before /

SFC /SCANNOW

tafoody 18:57 12 Jan 04

click here gives a solution.

woodchip 19:12 12 Jan 04

Before you try the above try double click on bin to see if the files are in it, even though it may look empty

Rubroy 08:26 13 Jan 04

Thanks VOG and Thanks Tafoody and Woodchip - (a) the bin was not empty, just hidden (b) Scannow works OK thanks, I did not need to use the downlod but it is so good that I am printing it for my own help file. Happy New year to you all.

PS How did you send the dowmload tafoody?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…