Recycle Bin Missing Completely

vogon 12:57 28 Dec 05

Windows 98SE I have lost the Recycle Bin completely. It no longer appears in Windows explorer, Desktop etc. even after a search. There is a "Recycled" folder with the deleted files in but when I try to delete files from there I get the usual Recycle Bin warning they go but reappear later back in the recycled folder.

VoG II 13:13 28 Dec 05

Select Run from the Start menu and type in

regedit

and click OK to launch the Registry Editor.

Navigate your way to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

In the left pane, right-click the NameSpace key and select New, Key. Now type the following, exactly as it’s written (all on one line, and with no spaces):

{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

and press Return.

In the right pane, right-click on (Default) and select Modify. In the resulting Edit String dialog box, on the Value data line, type Recycle Bin (or whatever you want to call it) and click OK. Close Regedit, click the desktop once, press [F5] to refresh it.

vogon 21:49 29 Dec 05

Thanks VoG™ I tried that but it was already there.
Tried re-naming it but still nothing on the desktop. Cleaned out all old files with System Mechanic 6 and the recycled folder is working ok now via explorer. Not too worried about DT icon.

VoG II 22:02 29 Dec 05

Try this fix to the desktop.ini file click here

Biotech 22:41 29 Dec 05

This may help, under WinXp fixes:
click here

VoG II 22:45 29 Dec 05

Its Windows 98.

feb 22:57 29 Dec 05

Hi vogon
have you seen this? click here

woodchip 23:03 29 Dec 05

If you see a Icon with Files in it. Go to empty desktop right click\properties at the top you will see tabs and the recycle bin both a empty and full bin you should click the bin that you want and click default then apply. If that does not do it download Tweak ui and unzip it to desktop right click the .inf file and choose install this puts the program in Control Panel you can repair Icons with it

vogon 21:44 05 Jan 06

Sorry about the delay, toys had to be packed away for Christmas!!
Thanks for your all the help, Recycled Bin now restored to the desktop.
A belated Happy New Year to you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…