Recycle Bin icon not showing as empty?

PC_HelpMe 21:47 30 Mar 09

Hi

For some reason, my Recycle Bin (on Windows XP) is no longer changing to empty once I have deleted its contents. Any idea why this has happened and how I can fix it?

Sea Urchin 22:04 30 Mar 09

You could try this:

Right-click on Desktop/Properties/Desktop tab/ Customise Desktop button. Highlight the empty bin icon and click Restore Default.

If that fails, highlight again and click Change Icon and change it to the same one that's
already there (a kind of "refresh").

woodchip 22:11 30 Mar 09

If you use CleanUp it will clear all Bins click here

woodchip 22:16 30 Mar 09

It may be clear but got corrupted and showing the wrong icon. Go to Display in Control Panel\Display\Customize\Customize Desktop you should see the Icons use Default ones

lotvic 22:17 30 Mar 09

First thing to try is changing the icon

rightclick on blank part of Desktop > Properties > Desktop tab > Customize Desktop > on Desktop Items > Change Icon (scroll along the icons to the Recycle Bin (empty) and click on it > a new pop up will appear with a load of icons (from C:\WINDOWS\System32\shell32.dll) in it, find the one that has a picture of an empty bin and click on it and then click on OK

Close the other windows by clicking on OK

Abel 08:21 31 Mar 09

When I have this problem I simply right click the desktop icon, then select 'Properties' and, without doing anything, just click OK. That then resolves the problem. Hope it works for you.

Abel

emily3543 08:52 31 Mar 09

try to open your system in safe mode.disable the norton. now empty the recycle bin and perss F5.

PC_HelpMe 09:56 31 Mar 09

Hi all, and thanks for your responses.

In casting my mind back, I am sure that when I recently emptied it, it actually disappeared from my desktop completely (but I may have inadvertently clicked on "delete" instead). I think I then did a system restore to a few minutes earlier so got it back - but I think since then is when I've had the problem.

I will try all your helpful hints and keep you informed.

Thank you again.

(Woodchip - nice to see you're still on here - you've helped me with quite a few problems in the past).

PC_HelpMe 20:03 31 Mar 09

Hi all,

having tried to right click on my desktop, I don't actually get a "properties" option coming up and nor when I go into my control panel can I find an actual icon saying "display" (I'm on Windows XP home edition - i think).

Can anyone be of any more help?

PC_HelpMe 20:14 31 Mar 09

I've been telling you I'm using Windows XP and then wondering why all your help has not been working - I have just realised that my main computer is Windows XP - but this problem is on my laptop and my laptop is VISTA!!!!

If you could all very kindly help me and give me the advice that you provided me above, but for Vista.

PC_HelpMe 20:26 31 Mar 09

If it helps - I think what happened was that my Recycle Bin looked full, so I right clicked on it - and selected to empty it - but as it must have been emptied anyway, it just gave me the option to actually delete the folder instead - and I have obviously said YES and deleted it. I have therefore then tried to get it back but in my personalise desktop folder it only gives me the option of having either a permanently full looking bin or a permanently empty one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos