RECYCLE BIN - how does it work?/what is the point?

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 14:46 04 Oct 04

hi all,is the recycle bin just a "are you sure you wan't to delete" or a folder where it keeps an image of the file,then you can restore it later?.and does it take up space in the recycling bin?.if it does take up space in recycle bin - what is the point?.cheers.ben

OwenLotts 14:49 04 Oct 04

Yes it takes up space. Its a safety net as it where. It allows you a second chance to review your deletions before committing to them.

"if it does take up space in recycle bin - what is the point" not sure what you mean exactly...

OwenLotts 14:50 04 Oct 04

To empty the bin and delete the contents right click it and selct Empty the recycle bin.

Of course it takes up space you can't make a deleted file take up no space unless you actually delete it.

Sethhaniel 14:53 04 Oct 04

and you can set in its properties how large an area set aside for waste - it automatically empties when this limit reached
And As I usually shift and delete it by-passes the recycle bin anyway (bad habit I know - as with picking up hamsters by the tail to watch their eyes pop out);)

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 14:59 04 Oct 04

or soaking the dog in icy water!.

Djohn 15:02 04 Oct 04

Think of it as a waste paper basket at the side of your desk. You throw everything in there that you think you have finished with then at the end of the week or when full, you empty to the main rubbish bin to be taken away for good.

During the time its in the basket at the side of your desk you can still retrieve that important name or phone number, once in the main bin and collected its gone for good.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 15:11 04 Oct 04

i understand,but the waste paper basket is still taking up room on your desktop ahh.although i have never put a mp3 into a paper waste basket before...herrmmmm........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…