Recycle Bin

Micro-Man 15:43 20 Sep 04

I was asked to help someone who had accidently deleted an essential file to the recycle bin so that his computer would not boot. I too have done this on one of the computers I use for hardware tests.
Is there a way to restore recycle bin files from a boot disc? (not specific to any particular version of windows)
Ended up having to restore windows from the restore disc sadly.

Micro-Man 10:29 21 Sep 04

Incidently, my friends computer runs XP with NTFS formatting

JonnyTub 11:43 21 Sep 04

you'd normally (or at least i would) use the installation cd (not a restore disk) to repair the installation, that way your files are left intact.

Micro-Man 13:07 21 Sep 04

Sadly he only had a restore disc, the rest being saved on a hidden partition on his hard disc I assume. However if it is just one file that's been accidently deleted, then there must be a simple way to restore the contents of the recycle bin from a boot disc.

Eamonncw 21:42 22 Sep 04

I`m definitely not an expert, but have you tried
System Restore, who knows, it might work.

JonnyTub 00:39 23 Sep 04

if the files are still in the recycle bin then simply click on them and choose restore files.

JonnyTub 00:41 23 Sep 04

"click on them should read RIGHT click on them"

Micro-Man 13:14 23 Sep 04

Sorry folks, but when my friend did this, the computer would not boot and I could not see what he'd deleted hence my curosity as to whether you can restore the recycle bin from a boot disc.

JonnyTub 13:18 23 Sep 04

you could have used the windows disk to repair the installation rather than reinstall it, that way the files would have been saved.

JonnyTub 13:19 23 Sep 04

provided it is a "windows disk" and not a restore disk as you mention. Or you could borrow one, there's nothing illegal about it so long as your not installing from it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…