Recycle Bin

ianeon 19:37 12 Feb 04

Hello - I need an education lesson - could someone please tell me what happens to the contents of my recycle bin when I empty it - do they stay somewhere on my computer - do they vanish into thin air - do they disintegrate into electrical charges, or ....... Thank you - Ian

Diodorus Siculus 19:43 12 Feb 04

Windows changes the first letter of their reference on the hdd to 0 which means that the space can be written over when Windows needs the space; digital data rarley goes away for good and can very easily be recovered.

Get a prog like Eraser if you want to do more than simply empty the bin.

Diodorus Siculus 19:45 12 Feb 04

click here

click here for all you need to know about data removal and recovery.

Give a program like Restoration a shot - you might be surprised at what you can pick up.

Marky_Bhoy 19:45 12 Feb 04

I think I heard somewhere that files are never deleted from your PC even after you empty them from the recycling bin.

I think I saw this on a program in which computer experts examined criminal's PC's for evidence.

Don't know if it is true. I would like to know the answer to this aswell.

R4 19:57 12 Feb 04

I periododicaly use Nortons 'Wipe Info' this overwrites all free space with a user defined pattern a user defined number of time (same as MOD and such like agencies use). . . This ensures that it is impossible to recover any data that has been deleted.

This ensures that only the data you want on your HDD is available to nosy parkers if they can get to your system. (including any computer experts)

There are other programs that do the same thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced