recuva/ccleaner

breadwinner 11:29 16 Jun 07

why does recuva bring back all the files that have been deleted on 7 passes by ccleaner

howard64 11:50 16 Jun 07

probably because that is what it is meant to do and it has saved an image of the hard drive as it was when it was run.

breadwinner 11:56 16 Jun 07

thank you howard64 but I thought the whole point of ccleaner was to remove all traces. ie so old files cannot be retrieved

howard64 16:45 16 Jun 07

but it does not remove files stored within a prog. You would have to remove the prog to remove thoses bits.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:23 16 Jun 07

I thought the whole point of ccleaner was to remove all traces

No CCleaner is there to remove files that are no longer required and free up space on the HDD.
Any file that is "deleted" is really still there but undetectected by windows as first letter of filename is remove(to put it simply).
Windows then writes over that oart of the drive not knowing the file is still there.

If you want to securely delete (erase) files so they cannot be recovered (personal data etc.) then you need somethimg like:-

File erasers :-
Eraser click here
Ultrawipe click here
SuperShredder click here

If you use one of these and mistakenly delete a file you need then you are in trouble.

breadwinner 21:00 16 Jun 07

Thank you both. I assume then the benefit of ccleaner is it saves you the time of going through all the individual programs to achieve the same result

breadwinner 21:20 16 Jun 07

And then what is the point of overwriting it 7 times?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now