Recurring Trojan & GT.EXE file

Heefie 18:39 28 Jan 04

Hi, I keep getting told by my Anti-virus software that I have a "Trojan horse IRC/BackDoor.SdBot.AFX" on my machine (I was using Mcafee and am now using AVG free & I have the same problem).

I then run the necessary removal process and GT.EXE is duly deleted from my WINNT/SYSTEM32 folder ... if I check my Registry there is no occurrence of the other indication of this problem, which is an entry for LSASS in the HKLM ... I have no occurrence at all ...

However, sooner or later, it's back, and sometimes I'm not even doing anything, I'm sitting at the other end of the room (AAARRRGGHHH, it just happened, it's back !!!) ...

Something on my PC must be driving this and re-installing it every time I delete it ... any ideas anybody ?!?!?!?

Big Elf 18:41 28 Jan 04

Download, update and run the following

Spybot click here

AdAware click here

SpywareBlaster click here

This site has a lot of useful information click here

Kitz E Kat 18:41 28 Jan 04

Have you System Restore? Did you turn it off before you tried to remove the Trojan?

Good luck

Heefie 00:11 29 Jan 04

Big Elf : I already have and run Spybot frequently, I've downloaded and run the other 2, now I can only wait and see ...

Kitz E Kat : I run Win2k, so I don't *think* I have system restore, but even if I have, I would be going back way too far, I think, this seems to have been happening for over a week & I have a LOT of work & kids' homework on here !!!

VoG II 00:17 29 Jan 04

No, you don't have System Restore. Try these trojan cleaners click here click here

Also turn off System Restore as Kitz E Kat said click here

VoG II 00:18 29 Jan 04

Doh! Spot the deliberate mistake. Time for bed, methinks.

Heefie 12:31 29 Jan 04

Well, no recurrence of GT.EXE, so hopefully that's cleared up now, thanks to all ... VoG, thanks for those too, The Cleaner found 2 Trojans that nothing else was spotting !!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…