Recovery of Outlook Emails and Address Book

Big Bad Ben 19:01 07 Aug 04

I have had to install a new copy of XP as a result of installing a beta version of XP SP2. I am now trying to recover Emails and Address book which was on my old version of Outlook 2000, any suggestions ??

VoG II 19:08 07 Aug 04

Was this a "Repair" installation or did you format the drive? If you formatted, they're gone :o(

Big Bad Ben 19:13 07 Aug 04

No I did not format the drive or change the partition.for some reason my P.C. went downhill after the SP2 installation, I could not repair XP so had to install a new copy. All my old files are present, I am just having problems recovering the .pst files

VoG II 19:17 07 Aug 04

Sorry to ask the obvious but presumably you've searched for *.pst and found nothing?

livewire 19:41 07 Aug 04

Pst files should be located in:

"C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook"

Replace 'Your Username' with your logon name.

livewire 19:43 07 Aug 04

Just an off topic question...

When you say things went downhill after SP2 did the Windows XP setup uttility reconize your existing partition?

Were you able to Start Windows XP Sp2?

Big Bad Ben 20:33 07 Aug 04

I have checked all my old directories for .pst files and have not been able to find them. Thanks for the suggestions as always when you are trying to sort complicated problems you dig yourself into a hole forgetting the old engineers rule of is it switched on and is it plugged in !!!

Big Bad Ben 20:41 07 Aug 04

for live wire: The XP SP2 Beta worked ok on the first version, when update downloaded and installed the latest version I had a lot of problems with access to programs etc. I uninstalled SP2 using the add/remove programs. Following this action XP would not boot up. I tried to repair XP and this worked OK up the installation phase where the progam hung for a considerable period of time and then reported in the log that Setup could not delete xp2.cab files amongst others. At all times setup recognised the partition and the directory for XP.

VoG II 21:04 07 Aug 04

You could try Drive Rescue click here - you will need to run this off another drive (e.g. floppy).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…