Recovery or Repair Installatoin of PC

frostysnowman 09:20 10 Aug 08

Hi, my daughter has a Packard Bell IMedia 5075. It has Windows Xp Home Sp2 on it but because she has been getting a lot of problems recently (she cannot access Windows Update at all and a number of viruses and spyware detected) she has asked me to do a clean install. She does not have a Windows Xp CD but there is a partition on the drive which is hidden and is the recovery partiion. Unfortunately she does not have the manual for the PC as it was second hand. On the Packard Bell Web site it states to press 'F11' at start up to begin the recovery, but when I try nothing happens and the PC just boots up into Windows as normal. I am wondering is this because I have resized the drive and put in an extra partition to save her backup images on. The recovery partition is still on the drive however. (There is now a hidden recovery partition, the C partition (Windows) and a D partition for the iimages. At the end there is about 23M of unallocated space). Does anybody know how to do a recovery on the IMedia 5075.
Since I cannot access the recovery I thought about doing a repair installation of XP but since she does not have a Windows CD I cannot seehow to do this. Is it possible and legal to use my own Windows Home CD (OEM) to do a repair installation on her PC. Any advice greatly appreciated

tullie 09:24 10 Aug 08

Dont know the answer but maybe easier to try and get rid off the rubbish.What anti virus and spyware software have you got to try this first?Others will have a more complete answer but try ccleaner,spybot s&d,superantispyware.

frostysnowman 09:30 10 Aug 08

She has Norton 2008 on the PC plus A2free. I have also scanned with Adaware. I have used the 'Dial-a-fix' to try and remedy the Windows Update problem but still no joy. Could I juse my own Windows CD (OEM) to do a repair installation on her PC. Thanks for any advice.

Pamy 10:09 10 Aug 08

Lots of dowloads from here click here

thms 10:22 10 Aug 08

Try setting bios to origanal settings.
It may have been changed to hide the original splash screen. I usually disable this as I find it annoying. The option to do a recovery may be disabled in the bios.

frostysnowman 10:43 10 Aug 08

Thanks for all your replies.
I have looked on the Packard Bell site but cannot find a manual or a CD/DVD Recovery disk creator. All I could find was the recovery boot disk which when ran asks for the master CD/DVD. (My recovery files are on the hard drive in a hidden partition).
Where in the bios are the settings for disabling recovery. Any advice appreciated.

Pamy 10:48 10 Aug 08

Thjere is a trouble shooter under Diagnosis & repair that may help. you have to register

cheap 11:22 10 Aug 08

Are you using a wireless keyboard. the F11 key may not work at startup due to the driver for the keyboard not being started before the POST beep.

frostysnowman 11:34 10 Aug 08

Tbanks for your replies and advice.
The keyboard connected is a wired one. Could I use my Windows XP CD (OEM) to repair the Windows installation on my daughters PC.

thms 11:52 10 Aug 08

Have a look hereclick here

Regarding your oem version it wont have a repair option on it. Only a full version will have the repair option available.

If your daughters computer has a license key on it you could do a full install using your cd. This may however delete your recovery partion.
You would also require all the drivers etc for your motherboard.
Have you set the bios to original settings?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:53 10 Aug 08

Could I use my Windows XP CD (OEM)

Yes as long as it is the same ie. Home - home - Pro - pro Media - media.

Repair XP

OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

OPTION 2 - Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…