I have used ATI to recover by overwriting a damaged OS with no problems.
- Where did you backup to?
- Was it a 'Full' backup or did you use 'Incremental' or Differential?
- Did you 'Validate' the backup on completion?
- Was the backup carried out with the same ATI version as made it?
- Did you use the CD or boot from an installation of ATI when you made the backup?
- When you attempted the 'Recovery' operation what exactly did you have connected and what was the process you used?
I should add that I have never heard of a correctly prepared and validated backup not functioning properly or wiping a drive.