Recovery of documents folder from failed drive

Ronfj 22:30 27 May 06

I need help please.
The hard drive on my computer failed. It simply would not boot into Windows. Various error messages indicated some vital files were missing and the partition was corrupted. It was also making more noise than previously. I bought a new hard drive and loaded Windows XP sp2 afresh. I have linked up the old hard drive to see if I can access it because my backups were not up to date and I really want to retrieve a number of files from it. I was pleased that it would read the old hard drive, but very disappointed that it simply will not open the main documents folder which is the one with all the important files in. I can access all other files or folders but not the documents folder. Despite my having the same login name and password, the system keeps saying access is denied. I have even tried to copy it using MS DOS but it will not allow it.
Can anyone help advise me how to access this documents folder in Windows XP?

howard63 22:39 27 May 06

if your files are in my documents on the old drive using explorer go to the my docs on the new drive and right click and send to d drive or whatever the old drive is called. You may then be able to assess the files.

johnnyrocker 23:16 27 May 06

that post does not seem logical to me?

johnny

VoG II 07:43 28 May 06

You need to take ownership click here

Ronfj 21:55 28 May 06

Thanks all of your for your help, but particularly VoG™ - that link to Microsoft knowledge base article was brilliant. I now have full access to the folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5