Recovery disks

rimp 14:08 18 Jul 08

When we bought our old computer, after setting it up we made recovery disks immediately. Recently we decided to have a clean out and start afresh. Four times I used the disks and at the end of it all, the computer just hangs. I contacted Hp and they the disks are corrupted to buy new ones at almost £30.00. However they also directed me to their help link where it states it can take hours to complete.I tried again and after 10 hours I switched the computer off. Is there another way round this, can I use the recovery disks off my other old computer ? As an oap on a budget this is a lot of money to me.

Pamy 14:11 18 Jul 08

You cannot use rewcovery disks from another computer,they have to be from the one concerned.

rimp 14:25 18 Jul 08

I thought not, thanks for the advice.

Pamy 14:32 18 Jul 08

you can still have a clean out, without having to do what you wanted to do. I am sure others can advise if you tell them exactly what you want to do and why

ambra4 14:38 18 Jul 08

What problems are you having with the computer just list the fault and I am sure the forum members will assist if we can

Pamy 14:48 18 Jul 08

I would now advise that you tick this thread as RESOLVED, and start a new one with a differrent title(you may get more responces that way)

rimp 19:06 18 Jul 08

that's just it, now when I turn on the computer a message appears " Windows not installed correctly, reinstall recovery disks ". It's like going round in circles.

woodchip 19:16 18 Jul 08

Did you not get a oem Operating System Disc with your HP computer? I got one with my Laptop

rdave13 19:27 18 Jul 08

Just a thought, try tapping F8 when the computer is booting up. Hopefully you'll get to a screen that you can choose (with the arrow keys) 'last known good configuration'. Press enter. See if that helps.
If not you might have a hidden partition so that you'll have to tap F11 or on some computers F10 at start-up and that will start the reinstall to factoty settings. You will lose all your programs unfortunately.

Pamy 19:38 18 Jul 08

rimp, I did not know that you could not boot up your computer when you said that you wanted to clean it up. That is why I advised you to start a new thread with a different title.

Tick one of these threads as RESOLVED. and only stick to one of them.

Pamy 19:38 18 Jul 08

rimp, I did not know that you could not boot up your computer when you said that you wanted to clean it up. That is why I advised you to start a new thread with a different title.

Tick one of these threads as RESOLVED. and only stick to one of them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009