Recovery disk vs. OEM disk:Which one?

buel 20:30 01 Dec 09

Hi, im afraid i have a little confusion when it comes to understanding using a recovery disk/recovery partition. I understand that PCs have recovery partitions but i dont understand how they work using a recovery disk? The only fresh install i have ever done was using an oem xp disk and i found that straightforward but i dont understand why it would be easier using a recovery disk/recovery partition! Please can someone explain this to a thick person such as myself please?

citadel 21:01 01 Dec 09

restore disc puts the pc back to the same as the day you got it. I would always rather have the windows oem disc. If I ever got a bought pc I would wipe the drive and install windows from a disc.

Woolwell 21:19 01 Dec 09

The restore partition/disc will normally include the drivers. When you purchase a system with a recovery partition you should always create a recovery disc in case the hard drive should fail. There is usually a prompt and software tp create the disc. It is partition or disc.

buel 21:53 01 Dec 09

Thank you, how would i go about making a recovery disc from my recovery partition please?
Ps- so a recovery disk contains the drivers necessary whereas with an oem you need to find your own drivers?

Woolwell 22:03 01 Dec 09

The instructions/help with the systems hould tell you how to creat a recovery disc.

woodchip 22:08 01 Dec 09

You could also use the oem disc to do a repair, this leaves your files and programs as they are.

As above a Restore CD will overwrite the C:\ partition back to the starting point of when you got the PC

PS in both cases you will need to download all MS Updates and load them

buel 22:16 01 Dec 09

Thank you so much for that, that makes it more clear to me!
Just 2 more questions,
1, if you can create a restore cd from the partition, what is the need to keep the partition from then onwards?
2, the laptop i have originally had 512mb of Ram but i put an extra 1gb in, can i keep the 1.5gb in when i reinstall xp or does it have to be the original 512mb?

woodchip 22:19 01 Dec 09

Ram can stay as it is, If you create a Working Restore Image with Acronis True Image the Restore Partition could be removed if you wanted to

Woolwell 22:23 01 Dec 09

Should mention that with HP systems for example you can only create a restore disc once.

woodchip 22:26 01 Dec 09

unless you use Acronis

Woolwell 22:35 01 Dec 09

woodchip is correct. Acronis creates restore discs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…