Recovery Disk please!

theearlofsabden 21:09 07 Dec 09

I have a Sony Vaio PCV-F31M.

It's one of these all-in-one with the Monitor acting as the hard drive, dvd drive etc.

Suddenly the screen has gone blank - black.

Nothing happens on f5 for safe mode - the options are there - followed by line after line of rolling numbers.

Sony want between £250 and £750 to repair it.

I brief call to them this morning - they said the hard drive has failed.

I do not have a back-up, recovery disk, or the OS disk - I won it on the Paul O'Grady show.

I'm thinking of asking Sony tomorrow if they will send me a recovery disk, don't mind paying for that if it'll work!

Q: Any ideas on how I can at least get the screen back on - if the hard drive hasn't failed.

I don't want to spend silly money if it's not the hard drive.

Any ideas please?

Regards
Neil.

GaT7 21:15 07 Dec 09

If you know the type of hard disk - 3.5/2.5 & IDE/SATA you could try replacing it yourself with very little outlay - £20-40 depending on the capacity you go for.

Otherwise, buying a whole secondhand one click here (£178), will probably work out cheaper than what Sony wants for repair! G

Sea Urchin 21:19 07 Dec 09

>> Nothing happens on F5 for safe mode - the options are there - followed by line after line of rolling numbers. <<

Sounds like it is going into safe mode - if so you would need to wait for a minute or two while it boots up

woodchip 21:36 07 Dec 09

Its not buying the drive, its the fitting thats the problem as its behind the screen

woodchip 21:38 07 Dec 09

It may not be the Drive. Most likely is the OS as got corrupted or the boot sector of the drive

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:06 08 Dec 09

What operating system?
XP or Vista?

theearlofsabden 00:02 09 Dec 09

The operting system is XP Home.

Like I said, the screen went blank without warning, previously all was ok. Safe Mode has no effect - the black screen prompt loads but after selecting safe mode, it goes into scrolling numbers - I have waiting as Sea Urchin suggests - but after 40 minutes I lost the will.

Any ideas

Neil.

woodchip 09:50 09 Dec 09

Could be a Virus

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:07 09 Dec 09

Borrow a XP CD and do a repair:

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced