Recovery disk help

AYoung1234 19:10 13 Jan 09

I recently bought a new PC from an independent store, with Windows Vista installed, but received neither a recovery or Windows disk. Should I have received one or the other with the PC?

For peace of mind, I'd like to be able to create a recovery disk, as I can only put my faith in the Windows system restore function as it stands.

Is there any means to do so without a copy of Windows on disk (and no product key as a result), or would I be within my rights to request one for free from the store?

Many thanks

Adrian

MAJ 19:33 13 Jan 09

Is this a named PC, Packard Bell, HP/Compaq, etc,. or is it a PC the shop built?

If the former, chances are it has a recovery partition on the hard drive that you use to restore the OS in case of an emergency. This partition can be activated using a CD/DVD (which should be supplied with the PC) or it can be activated, prior to Windows loading, by pressing a key (F10 on some systems) as the PC is starting.

If the latter, then they have to give you some way of restoring the system in case of a catastrophic crash. That could be a Vista disk or a DVD with an image of your system, it's up to them. You should also have the Vista serial key in either case, it's usually stuck to the side or bottom of the tower.

MAJ 19:38 13 Jan 09

The third option is that you create the backup DVD yourself using software installed on the PC. You usually only get one chance to create this DVD and you will be constantly reminded to create it until you choose to do so.

I don't think you have this option as you would have noticed it if you had. Best thing to do is ask in the shop, but don't let them put you off.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:47 13 Jan 09

Failing any joy from the shop a copy of Acronis True Image will snapshot your system and can be restored even to a new drive incase of windows or harddrive failure.

MAJ 20:07 13 Jan 09

Also, to find the serial number of your Vista, use Magical Jellybean Keyfinder. click here

AYoung1234 21:26 13 Jan 09

Many thanks to you both for the advice.

The Windows serial key was indeed on the case, so I'll approach the shop to get the disk.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant