Recovery disc problems

Koochy 11:20 10 Oct 06

Hi all,
I have just bought a new Compaq laptop from Pc world and it has a feature called discless recovery which in theory i think is a good idea but the only problem with this is that it eats up 6 GB ard drive space so i presume it is full of the usal bumph that comes with a new computer, Norton(spit) 90 day trial and the such like. Now i don't believe in breaking copyright laws but i would like to do a bare install of XP home. Can i LEGALLY use another windows disc with MY license key for the lap top.

The reason i am asking this is obviously n an 80GB HDD 6GB is a lot of space to loose. It has a feture to burn a set of recovery discs which i have done but obviously these have all the bumph on them as well.

Koochy

ventanas 11:59 10 Oct 06

In a word - No. Anyway another disc would not have the necessary drivers etc. Most retail pc's are like this now. I know it's a pain in the neck, but it does help keep prices down. There is a little program that removes all the rubbish that Dell put on their machines, but I don't know about compaq.

terryf 12:08 10 Oct 06

IMO you should buy Acronis Drive Image and an ext usb hd and use that to make a mirror image of your hard drive after you have done a clean instal of os and progs. It only takes less than 15 mins to backup and about the same to restore. You will need to keep backups of your data but you could consider partitioning your HD with enough room on C for os and progs and put ALL data on D. At present I only have about 17 Gb of win xp pro plus progs on C, the rest is on D. You should even be able to put the OE store folder onto D. Then in course of your work (or play) 'save to' a folder on D

Koochy 18:38 10 Oct 06

Okay thanks for that guys looks like it is Acronis and an external Hdd then.

Thanks

Koochy

patsyanne 19:21 10 Oct 06

Quick get Acronis free here ..click here

Koochy 20:59 10 Oct 06

Thanks for that but it has been withdrawn due to such a large demand.

Thanks

Koochy

vinnyT 13:39 11 Oct 06

Paragon exact image 7 se on issue 248(nov) pcplus magazine

woodchip 13:45 11 Oct 06

I Can vouch for Acronis, it is the best thing to use

David4637 13:49 11 Oct 06

Acronis 7 is on the cover of PCW Nov 2006 mag. David

Koochy 13:59 11 Oct 06

Okay thanks for that guys. I will mark as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…