recovery disc for hard drive failure

amstrad 22:02 23 Jul 14

Whilst resetting my Sony Vaio VGN-31M to factory defaults with the recovery discs, the laptop stopped when disc 3 was in the machine with the error " restore failed - error code ox17(data error(cyclic redundance check).)

I removed the disc and tried to boot up the machine but got a message "BootMGR is missing press Ctrl+alt +del to restart.

I tried this but no success. Anyone got any ideas? Oh and what does UI language mean Thanks Amstrad

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:17 23 Jul 14

UILanguage specifies the language to install that will be used as the default system language to display user interface (UI) items (such as menus, dialog boxes, and help files). This setting is used by Windows Setup and Windows Deployment Services.

Boot Manager is missing see here

alanrwood 09:59 24 Jul 14

Your disks seem to be corrupted for some reason. Have you tried using them several times as it might just work eventually. Did you nonly make one copy of the disks.

In any case why did you use the disks. Is there no hidden Recovery Partition on the laptop which allows recovery to factory spec by pressing one of the function keys during the boot. On my Sony VGN-A497XP all I need to do is press F10, or rather keep tapping it, as soon as the boot logo starts to show. This automatically starts the recovery process from the master files on the hard drive hidden partition.Of course that is unless at some stage in the past you have deleted the recovery partition to get more disk space.

amstrad 13:09 25 Jul 14

Your gonna love this. I put the wrong recovery disc in the laptop because I failed to label it properly.( lesson for other Numpties ). I've tried the proper disc and the windows disc to no avail. So, short of anything anyone can come up with, it will have to go to the doctors. Thanks for your interest.

alanrwood 14:44 25 Jul 14

Did you try the F10 method I suggested earlier

The recovery Guide for your model says it should work.

click here Page 8. It would not copy and paste here.

See

amstrad 16:22 25 Jul 14

Yes I tried F10 and all the other "F's", no joy. Ive downloaded the Vaio manual and will try to sort it myself otherwise I'll never be able to understand these things . Thanks again for your interest.

Yes I tried F10 and all the other "F's", no joy. Ive downloaded the Vaio manual and will try to sort it myself otherwise I'll never be able to understand these things . Thanks again for your interest.

alanrwood 19:05 25 Jul 14

You do need to get the timing right. As soon as the splash screen appears start tapping (not holding) the F10 key. If it i8sn't available you normally get an error message of some sort.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…