Recovery Disc -Copy O/S

miss stella 19:14 16 Mar 07

We have desktop and laptop for personal and business work and have made a second partition of 16Gb on both ( Thanks forum).
All our data is on the second partition "D" and is backed up to DVDs which have copies.
My laptop has pre-installed XP and a recovery disc. I know that if I use the disc it will format the whole disc to one partition again and install the XP O/S.
Is there a way I can make a disc from the XP O/S which is installed and use it to re-install XP O/S (if I need to do) without losing the "D" drive and the data? I was told there is a backup on the HD called 1386 but now I have found it I don't know what to do with it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Stella

woodchip 22:08 16 Mar 07

If you change Partitions on a Drive that only as a Recovery CD disc. The Recovery disc will most likely not work now. So if I was you I would get Acronis and create a new one by creating a Image of the OS Partition with Acronis

miss stella 12:58 17 Mar 07

Thank you woodchip for replying, I am sorry to contradict you as you are trying to help me but when we last used the recovery disc we found that the partition was removed and the laptop was as it was when we bought it. It is a Toshiba with XP pro pre-installed. We also have the discs for Office pro etc.
That is the reason I though that we may be able to install the O/S from a disc we make after we formatted the "C" drive leaving the "D" drive partition alone.
I know we can use the Full installation XP pro disc we have for the desktop do do the job but that is Activated (whatever you call it) with Microsoft. We were told that we would not get support from MS if we did that and my husband is reluctant to use it.
I may have to buy a new disc for the laptop but would rather wait until Vista has been proved, we tried the beta download and didn't get on with it.

Thanks again, any more suggestions? Please.
Stella.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac