recovery console for xp

wappa 22:40 21 Dec 07

hi, due to system 32 corrupt or missin,i install windows xp home cd but cant locate recovery console,,,,any help pls

skidzy 22:45 21 Dec 07
  wappa 22:48 21 Dec 07

cheersfor that skidzy but my pc wont even start due to windows\system32\config\system,,it tells me to press r when installing cd,but i get windows set up and it freezes,,,any further suggestions

pk46 23:12 21 Dec 07

Sounds like you are unlucky it looks like you will have todo a full system recovery ALL DATA WILL BE LOST.
Or you could give FAIL SAFE MODE a try and use the command prompt and type in
scanreg /restore and see what happens
OR YOU COULD TRY sfc /scannow if you choose this process you will be prompted to insert the WXP disk.

alan2273 23:32 21 Dec 07

Rather than going into the control panel, have you tried a XP repair.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:34 21 Dec 07

1. Boot to the Recovery Console from the Windows XP installation CD, or use a boot linux boot cd or BARTPE on this months cover DVD to get to a command prompt.

2. When you're at the Recovery Console / command prompt, change into the root directory of the system drive with the cd command (i.e., cd \).

3. Change into the System Volume Information directory by typing cd system~1 on most machines, or cd "System Volume Information."

(The filenames with ~1 are generated by default to provide backwards compatibility with programs that only recognize 8.3-format filenames. It's possible to disable 8.3 filename generation on NTFS volumes to gain some speed, but the speed gained by doing this is generally pretty small and it can have the unintended consequence of making it impossible to use 8.3 filenames in contexts like this. If you can't use 8.3 filenames to navigate, 8.3 name generation might be disabled. See Microsoft's support document called How to Disable the 8.3 Name Creation on NTFS Partitions.

4. The System Volume Information directory contains a folder name _restore followed by a GUID in curly braces. Change into it by typing cd _resto~1; if that doesn't work you'll have to type cd "_restore{GUID_STRING}", with the full GUID string in place of GUID_STRING.

5. In the _restore directory are a group of subdirectories starting with the letters RP and followed by a number. These are the different restore points available for that volume.

6. Check the date on each directory and look for one that corresponds to a date before you began experiencing problems.

7. Change into the appropriate directory. If the directory is named RP74, for instance, change into it by typing RP74.

8. Inside that directory will be a subdirectory named snapshot; change into that directory as well (cd snapshot)

9. The snapshot directory holds backup copies of the SOFTWARE and SYSTEM Registry hives, named _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE and _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM, respectively.

10. The target directory for these files is \Windows\System32\Config, and the hives there are named SOFTWARE and SYSTEM. Rather than overwrite those files entirely, you can rename them to something else. Typing ren \windows\system32\config\software \windows\system32\config\software.bak and ren \windows\system32\config\system \windows\system32\config\system.bak will rename them to software.bak and system.bak, respectively.

11. Copy in the backup hives: copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE \windows\system32\config\software and copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM \windows\system32\config\system.

wappa 23:35 21 Dec 07

tried everythin chaps,,even when i press safe mode,, get the press r from cd again,,,,looks grim eh?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:34 22 Dec 07

use a boot linux boot cd or BARTPE on this months cover DVD to get to a command prompt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…