recovery console in XP

jaimie 14:09 30 Sep 07

I have just finished building a new Vista machine and had intened to copy all my stuff over via my network from my old XP machine. Woulndn't you know it but just as I get the Vista M/C up and running the HD in the XP M/C gives up the ghost and reports that a DLL file for windows is missing and refused to start up. It suggests using recovery console, has anyone ever used this successfully? it asks daft questions like "which windows instalation do you want to repair" how do you answer that? And the text is missing on the left side of the screen. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this. I have temp put the drive as a slave in the Vista M/C and copied all the files I want except my email address list in outlook, where do I find this and can I copy it across?

Regards

James

VoG II 14:14 30 Sep 07

click here

Enter 1 for the Windows installation.

jaimie 14:56 30 Sep 07

Thanks VoG, this is very helpfull, it looks like I need to use the chdsk tool. When it asks for admin password I have never set one as I'm the only user, do I leave this blank?

Regards

James

jaimie 14:56 30 Sep 07

Thanks VoG, this is very helpfull, it looks like I need to use the chdsk tool. When it asks for admin password I have never set one as I'm the only user, do I leave this blank?

Regards

James

VoG II 14:57 30 Sep 07

Yes, leave the password blank.

jaimie 17:08 30 Sep 07

Thanks Vog, it all worked and I have my XP machine back on line.

Many Thanks

James

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…