Recovery Console - password

onthelimit 18:19 26 Jul 10

Had a client with a black screen on boot up. reinstalled XP. OK for 5 days. Black screen again. Put in disc - recovery console asked for a password. Tried just pressing enter - no go. Any ideas? Incidentally, found a list of all the cmd prompts and opted for FIXBOOT. To my amazement, it worked and XP is back to normal. I appreciate this is almost a double post, but would like comments as this second problem looks as though it may have been the original fault.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:54 26 Jul 10

Yes sounds like a corrupt hard drive causing a bad startup file.

On many XP installations you can't start the Recovery Console because it won't recognize your password. This registry edit causes the Recovery Console not to ask for a password. This works for both XP Home and XP Professional.

Start | Run | Regedit
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole
Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1
Exit Registry and Reboot

onthelimit 20:19 26 Jul 10

Thanks FB - I found that fix on Google, so will see what happens if it dumps again. Does it sound like the hard drive's on its way (Acer laptop, 4 yrs old)?

woodchip 20:26 26 Jul 10

Could be the drive on its way out, Or its not been shut down right

woodchip 20:28 26 Jul 10

Pressing the button to turn it off is not a good idea, and should only be used as a last resort if it will not turn off

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…