Recovery Console - password

onthelimit 18:19 26 Jul 10

Had a client with a black screen on boot up. reinstalled XP. OK for 5 days. Black screen again. Put in disc - recovery console asked for a password. Tried just pressing enter - no go. Any ideas? Incidentally, found a list of all the cmd prompts and opted for FIXBOOT. To my amazement, it worked and XP is back to normal. I appreciate this is almost a double post, but would like comments as this second problem looks as though it may have been the original fault.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:54 26 Jul 10

Yes sounds like a corrupt hard drive causing a bad startup file.

On many XP installations you can't start the Recovery Console because it won't recognize your password. This registry edit causes the Recovery Console not to ask for a password. This works for both XP Home and XP Professional.

Start | Run | Regedit
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole
Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1
Exit Registry and Reboot

onthelimit 20:19 26 Jul 10

Thanks FB - I found that fix on Google, so will see what happens if it dumps again. Does it sound like the hard drive's on its way (Acer laptop, 4 yrs old)?

woodchip 20:26 26 Jul 10

Could be the drive on its way out, Or its not been shut down right

woodchip 20:28 26 Jul 10

Pressing the button to turn it off is not a good idea, and should only be used as a last resort if it will not turn off

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5