Recovery Console - Administrator Password

NeilMcG 12:30 27 Oct 09

Hi,

I'm trying to repair a friends PC which will not boot.

I can boot from XP cd but when I try to run recovery console ('R' option) it asks for an Administrator password. He assures me that there never was one & booting from 'OPHD crack' disk states that all users (including Administrator) passwords are empty, i.e. no passwords are set.

Pressing enter at the password prompt gives the invalid password response & then restarts after three attempts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:30 27 Oct 09

Download the windows 2000 boot disks these will not ask for a password and you can use them just like recovery console to access XP system files

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:32 27 Oct 09

To add when your up and running again to stop recovery console from asking for a password in future

This registry edit causes the Recovery Console not to ask for a password. This works for both XP Home and XP Professional.

Start | Run | Regedit
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole
Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1
Exit Registry and Reboot

NeilMcG 19:40 27 Oct 09

As it turns out, after a bit of rummaging around in the BIOS, there was a password set tin the security settings there. Removed it & Voila! no password required, hitting enter in Recovery Console worked.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant