Recovery Console - Administrator Password

NeilMcG 12:30 27 Oct 09

Hi,

I'm trying to repair a friends PC which will not boot.

I can boot from XP cd but when I try to run recovery console ('R' option) it asks for an Administrator password. He assures me that there never was one & booting from 'OPHD crack' disk states that all users (including Administrator) passwords are empty, i.e. no passwords are set.

Pressing enter at the password prompt gives the invalid password response & then restarts after three attempts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:30 27 Oct 09

Download the windows 2000 boot disks these will not ask for a password and you can use them just like recovery console to access XP system files

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:32 27 Oct 09

To add when your up and running again to stop recovery console from asking for a password in future

This registry edit causes the Recovery Console not to ask for a password. This works for both XP Home and XP Professional.

Start | Run | Regedit
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole
Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1
Exit Registry and Reboot

NeilMcG 19:40 27 Oct 09

As it turns out, after a bit of rummaging around in the BIOS, there was a password set tin the security settings there. Removed it & Voila! no password required, hitting enter in Recovery Console worked.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…