Recovery CD for Laptop

Roger Duke 22:23 04 Dec 07

I am thinking of buying a Sony laptop from Comet. It seems they don't supply recover disks – is this now common practice? Does it only apply to Sony laptops?
They say you can make your own recovery CD when you first use the laptop, is this reasonably straightforward?
Does the same apply to any bundled programs such as MS Works?
Thank you for any advice.

MCE2K5 22:28 04 Dec 07

Making the Recovery CD/DVD Easy.
Applies to all software as well.

2neat 22:33 04 Dec 07

Dell did the same with my laptop. I made a recovery cd when it arrived. About 17months later the hard drive died. The recovery restored windows onto the hard drive. However, all the utilities were missing like dvd burner, media centre etc. Luckily dell sent me the disks FOC when I asked.

woodchip 23:29 04 Dec 07

The best way to make a Recovery disc is by using Acronis True Image. And Image the Drive or Partitions when The computer is new and clean

woodchip 23:31 04 Dec 07

That's one of the resons that Acronis is better as it could have been restored as it was to a new drive. In less than Half hour

frazky 02:24 05 Dec 07

- there should be a recovery partition - recovarable via sony recovery module.. it should have all the utilities..also see files in root C drive.. bundled utility installer sometimes there.

[ I have also found you can see it and maybe copy and recover it , using NortonGhost 10.. norton ghost 10 can operate with lower spec laptops ]

Roger Duke 08:06 05 Dec 07

Many thanks for the advice.
Roger

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now