recovery built in

lauralovesballa 19:52 26 Dec 07

i have an intel celeron zoostorm pc. it came with windows xp home already installed. i some how made a fatal disc error and was unable to boot either the o.s or the recovery console (pc angel lite edition). i didnt get a disc with recovery or o.s on just the pc angel. i got someone to look at it. he seemed to know what he was doing, he said i had to install windows again.which he did but when i restarted i found he actually installed a xp pro version that seems to be ment for an american office based company or similar and the v.l.k is blocked. i want to access the pc angel to return my comp back to the home version but as i am a learner i am not sure if this is possible. i have recovered files but havent a clue where to start.

Technotiger 20:00 26 Dec 07

I don't know if this will work, but you could try by downloading pc angel and running it.

click here

skidzy 20:01 26 Dec 07

The person you got and installed xp pro may have formatted the computer and possibly lost the partition that contained the recovery console.

Lets see if its still there;

Start Right click MY COMPUTER and select Manage / Disk Management.
Under disk 0 what does it say ?

Or try tapping F11 or F10 on startup to see if the recovery/restore is availible.

lauralovesballa 20:15 26 Dec 07

i have tried the other ways to i went for disc managment it says basic 74.53gb (online) then tere is a shaded box with 4.01gb fat32 healthy eisa configuration then another box not shaded c:/ 70.52 ntfs healthy (system)

skidzy 20:20 26 Dec 07

Im thinking your 4GB is the recovery partition,hopefully it is not corrupted.

Sometimes you need to wait for the post screen has gone and then quickly tap F10 or 11 on startup to gain access to the partition.

Have you tried to start in safemode and see if you have these options from there.Tapping F8 on startup will get you into safemode.

I think your key is F10 for the recovery partition.
Have you got a recovery disc,if so change the bios to boot from cd as opposed the harddrive F10 to save and exit and restart the computer.

lauralovesballa 20:27 26 Dec 07

f10 was the key to start pc angel. now i get the choice to either start xp pro or the recovery console . i suspect the recovery to be xp pro not my original. if i try recovery console it says which version of windows are you trying to restore no matter what i put it asks for a password i have tried all my passwords but i get a message saying incorrect press enter to leave recovery console. i have had problems with a few things on this pro version i think it is the something to do with the fact this version is not ment for a home comp but for use within a network or domain . i have had to take ownership of lots of files just to access them

Technotiger 20:39 26 Dec 07

When it asks for a password, just press return - this sometimes works.

skidzy 20:51 26 Dec 07

As Techno says,leave the password box blank and enter.
If you do not know the password,try your pc username.

lauralovesballa 20:56 26 Dec 07

it says recovery console can do a partial restore or complete which version of windows do you want to log on to : c:/windows (press enter to cancel) if i press enter it re boots i have tried all my passwords and user words it says incorrect password then the same message recovery console can......... ect

skidzy 21:00 26 Dec 07

It will reboot if you hit enter as you are cancelling it out.
When you select complete,does it ask you to select Y/N.

lauralovesballa 21:02 26 Dec 07

no

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…