Recovering permanently deleted folders

dotterel 21:40 10 Mar 03

I've just deleted a folder which was too large for the recycle bin and so it was permanently deleted. How can I recover it? I have Norton utilities but it only seems to be able to recover files, not whole folders. I'm using Windows 98SE.

dotterel 21:51 10 Mar 03

I've just done a search on this site and Driverecovery is recommende. However this needs a partition on my C drive which does not contain the files I wish to recover. How do I create a new partition?

Lú-tzé 21:59 10 Mar 03

You need something like partition magic; but installing new software may overwrite the space where the old folder was deleted from.

Norton may recover the files that were in the folder, even if not the folder itself.

Don't do a defrag or scandisk bur run the norton unerase wizard.

Lú-tzé 22:02 10 Mar 03

You need something like partition magic; but installing new software may overwrite the space where the old folder was deleted from.

Norton may recover the files that were in the folder, even if not the folder itself.

Don't do a defrag or scandisk bur run the norton unerase wizard.

Belatucadrus 22:02 10 Mar 03

click here for a selection of data recovery tools.

dotterel 23:04 10 Mar 03

Thanks Belatucadrus. That link got me "Filerecovery" which seems to have done the trick. I tried Norton Unerase by asking it to find the files *.* which it did (all 10793 of them, but then it just froze! Anyway all seems to be o.k. now. I'll tick this as resolved when my heart rate is back to normal and I've checked everything.

P.S. I was having a clearout before doing a full backup of my work..........

dotterel 21:20 14 Mar 03

Sadly only a few files were recovered. The vast majority were lost, although most were already backed up, I still lost about three weeks' work. Backup, backup and back up again........

Lú-tzé 08:37 15 Mar 03

dotterel - it may be too late for you, but for others wondering about backups, have a look here:

click here

Many different levels of backup routines which can be automated to a frequency to suit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…