Recovering files - Please Help

oz04 14:06 06 Apr 04

Hello people

I lost a whole load of files including family photos that I hadn't got around to backing up at that point, after a serious system failure.

I need to get these back and I want to use a recovery program (I downloaded the free PCI file recovery program and a friend has a copy of RecoverMyFiles I can use). Here's my problem. These programs say that they can't be installed on the same drive you want to recover from and need to be on another drive. OK.

I only have one drive and they can't be run from a disk apparently. So now I'm stuck.

Can I create a partition/second(logical?) drive or something where I can install these programs and safely recover stuff from my C drive?

Will this be safe? I don't want to mess up what I have on my C drive, reformatting isn't an option and money is non existant.

I looked in disk mangement but all space is primary and I can't put a partition in.

Is this the best way? Or maybe a program like Ranish is best ( I haven't heard all good things about Partition Magic).

I know I've gone on a bit, sorry, but I'm a complete novice with this.

I hope some kind soul can help me here.
Cheers

©®@$? 14:09 06 Apr 04

the best and safest method is to take your hardrive out and put it into a freinds machine and have your hardrive running as slave

install the recovery program onto your freinds hardrive and run it from there, so it can scan your hardrive.

Diodorus Siculus 14:18 06 Apr 04

Restoration will do it and runs from a floppy -

just don't defrag the hdd or install anything more.

click here

Don't go into partitioning at the moment - that can move stuff around and cause a problem.

oz04 14:26 06 Apr 04

Ok guys

I'll give restoration a try as out of the 2 people with pc's that I might be able to put my hard drive into, one is too far away, and the others machine is too slow to do anything with(I do mean anything, it's a heap of junk).

thanks

TomJerry 14:54 06 Apr 04

If you really want to recovery files from your PC, please stop use it now before you do more damages to it. If files are really important to you (I bet they are), get an expert do it for you. There are many companies provide data recovery service.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…