Recovering files from faulty CD

Fellsider 12:36 10 Nov 06

I am trying to recover files (jpg images) from, what was supposed to be, a backup copy of digital images.

I managed to recover some when the CD first showed signs of trouble (erratic loading) but now it does not want to load at all, so have I lost the rest of these files?

I think that the CD was produced on my current PC (XP Sp2 using Nero) but it won't load on my older PC (Win98SE + Nero) either.

Any ideas?

Totally-braindead 14:06 10 Nov 06

I always advise people to make 2 copies and to check them every couple of months to make sure they are ok. If one fails immediatly make another copy. I realise this is no help now but its a good idea for future photos.
I did have a copy of CDX Rescue, I'll go see if I can find it.

Totally-braindead 14:17 10 Nov 06

No I'm sorry but I must have thrown the disk out that had it. It was free on an old PC Advisor coverdisk and you had to register it which I did in order to keep using it. The company that produced the software no longer exist.

Perhaps some of the others will be able to help.

Fellsider 14:26 10 Nov 06

Thanks Briandead. Yes I am making 2 copies now.

When it first started giving errors I made another copy but only recently realised that it didn't copy all of the pics. (I know! - should have checked properly).

Totally-braindead 14:32 10 Nov 06

What I do and its not infallible is when I have finished right click on both disks goto properties and make sure they are both the same size. If they are then the same info SHOULD be on each. It just takes too long to check every picture as my CDs have hundreds of pictures on them.

There might be something here that can do it click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:54 10 Nov 06

Badcopy Pro click here
CDCheck click here

mammak 16:03 10 Nov 06

By any chance were these photos on your hard drive before you copy'd them to cd chances are they were why not try woodchips link it would do no harm.

click here

Fellsider 17:19 10 Nov 06

I tried eIMAGE recovery from your link and although it found some 'damaged' files, you cannot do anything with them in the demo version and I don't want to buy something unless I know it will work.

Thanks anyway

Totally-braindead 17:22 10 Nov 06

Well try some of the links the others have provided.

Fellsider 16:20 13 Nov 06

I've tried all the suggestions given but the CD is just not readable. Looks like I've lost some pics.

Thanks again for your help

I'll tick as resolved but if anyone has any further ideas still post and I'll regularly keep an eye on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…