recovering file from floppy disk

rsturbo 21:42 25 Mar 03

i have an important file i backed up to floppy disk but i can't get it back. the file copy starts then error message stating can't read from device pops up. have tried copying,dragging and dropping and different fd drive. please help or i'm dead!

Tog 21:45 25 Mar 03

Can you run scandisk on the floppy? Failing any other useful advice, I tend to favour the use of force.

Lone Crow 21:53 25 Mar 03

There is a free floppy disk file rescue utility called RESQFLPY available from Zvi Netiv but I can't find where I've stored their link. If you do a web search you should be able to track them down. The utility works best from the DOS level, though, so if you aren't DOS-literate wait to see if someone else comes up with a better alternative or do a web-search on File Recovery. Good luck. LC.

Switcher 22:00 25 Mar 03

The DOS version of Norton Disk Doctor might be able to recover it.

Lú-tzé 22:17 25 Mar 03

Have you tried to copy the entire floppy disk? It may work for you.

AndySD 22:26 25 Mar 03

click here GetDataBack for FAT
works although it costs about £40. I used the trial version on a totally unreadable 4 year old floppy my stepfather had 100 docs on. It found most of them then I brought it to I could recover them....it got 89.

Switcher 22:42 25 Mar 03

You can get RESQFLPY referred to above here

click here

Ellie3009 22:59 25 Mar 03

This might sound ridiculous, but try pulling the little metal cover thing aside and turn the round metal bit to see if theres a speck of fluff or something sat on the surface inside.

It happened to me once and I nearly lost 3 days work because of it!

rsturbo 23:39 25 Mar 03

for the suggestions and links, lots for me to try. will post back with results.

rsturbo 02:15 05 Apr 03

tried RESQFLPY and it worked a dream for my problem - faulty cluster on floppy media.

thankyou all v. much for getting me out of this hole!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…