Recovering from Factory Re-set ...Help!

six-h 18:53 16 Mar 08

OK, I've clawed my way back from 2003, and installed SP2, and a whole herd of updates, most of which "failed" several times to the point that I felt the yellow shield was a permanent resident in my sys.tray.
I still have many many problems.
The worst of which is constant "freezing" of IE7, I've noticed that my Java folder still dates from 2003, should I first delete that folder before heading God knows where to obtain the current version?
I'm tempted to mention more probs, but probably best to take it step by step!

skidzy 19:09 16 Mar 08

Java click here

Or update from Java in the control panel/Classic View

six-h 19:18 16 Mar 08

Java doesn't appear as a folder in my Control Panel.
What would it come under?
Also, is it best to delete the Java folder, (C:\Windows\Java) before downloading the new one?

skidzy 19:25 16 Mar 08

Use the link above first and see if this overwrites your current Java.

If no joy post back.

Control Panel / Classic View / Java are you saying this folder does not exist ?

wotbus@ 19:44 16 Mar 08

If you installed SP3 you wouldn't have had the whole herd but rather everything in one. SP2 is old hat these days.
IE7 - just take it out and re-install it.
Java updates itself automatically usually.

six-h 20:20 16 Mar 08

Yes!
The path to my Java files is C:\Windows\Java
The folders therin are: - Classes, Packages, Trustlib, and all date from 15th October 2003 evidently when the Hard disk was imaged by Medion.

"Classes" contains a verisign certificate,(expired)

"Packages" contains a "Data" folder, and eight zip folders modified 15 oct 2003, or 28 feb 2003

"trustlib" is empty.

wotbus@, SP3 is only RC2 at the moment, and I'd rather wait 'till it's on general release.
That however is the one straw that I have to cling to, .. that I may be able to do another factory reset and just install SP3 without all the ass bustin' endless "downloading and installing x infinity" of updates!
I might try installing IE7 again see if it is any better than it is at present.
Re Java - I admire your faith!

skidzy 20:28 16 Mar 08

Try to overwrite the current Java first as posted earlier,if this asks for any removal..follow the prompts.

Get your Java updated first if possible.
Add Firefox to your browser collection.
If no joy with IE7,you can roll back to IE6 in add and remove programs.

six-h 21:13 16 Mar 08

OK, I'll try downloading over the current installation, but it's in the wrong place isn't it?
C:\Windows\java

Had Firefox before factor reset, and that froze too, would like it again, but need to sort out why my system is freezing first..I think.

six-h 21:32 16 Mar 08

Had to d/l twice, 'cos the sod froze when it came to verify the installation.
Now I've got it in control panel, just about to go and deleter the old ones in C:\Windows, and my firewall poped up a message that those files had "changed".
Nothing seems to be different, so I've deleted them!

six-h 21:37 16 Mar 08

came back with 82 files found!
Is my machine the electronic equivalent of schitzoid, or just plain insane?

six-h 21:42 16 Mar 08

and told "No image selected"
Is this further proof that my machine is only fit for landfil?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…