recovering email from old hard drive

rickd 08:25 19 May 06

I have a hard drive which I recently removed from my PC (long story) which I can still access using an ide/USB reader, and I can see folders and files and copy them back onto a PC. I want to find some important emails which I failed to backup (but are hopefully stored in Outlook Express on the HD), but I can't find the folder. From looking at how my laptop stores these I think it should be in documents and settings\***user\local settings\application data\identities\****long list of code\microsoft\outlook express. I take it this is a hidden file, as I can't find it anywhere using windows explorer. I,ve tried using search, and included hidden folders but no luck so far. I guess I can't use the same code from my laptop to search for a specific file on the HD, as the identities would be different. Does Outlook express actually have to be running to get to the files? If so can this be done with an "external drive"
How can I track these important files down?

Diodorus Siculus 08:30 19 May 06

Try a search for *.dbx and see if you can find anything.

Wak 09:11 19 May 06

When (if) you find the .DBX files as suggested above then Google for OEViewer or OEReader and you will then be able to read/copy them OK.

rickd 15:31 19 May 06

excellent, found, recovered (if you're trying this at home guys you need to save the files for each identity into separate folders else they overwrite each other), viewed - using OEviewer - simple and works great

By the way, when I tried downloading OEreader from some sites I was instantly disconnected from the internet and then I failed to reconnect - wierd!
Maybe my spyware didn't like the activeX content and blocked it??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…